Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuffed Pork Loin with Raspberry Chipotle Glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuffed Pork Loin with Raspberry Chipotle Glaze

Well I'm surprised we don't have more of a dash of Christmas smokes hitting the forums, guess a lot of folks still out of town or hung over. Anyway we did a large prime rib feast on the day, but also had a small gathering for Christmas eve. Decided to do pork as the entree.

As you all know pork loin is super tender and can be juicy but lacks a lot of flavor due to its being so lean. As such I'm always looking for a way to punch up the flavor of my pork loins. I ran across a Harry Soo recipe a while back and decided to take it out and modify it to my liking. It takes advantage of a fruit filled stuffing and a sweet glazed covering. I love the way sweetness works with pork.

For the stuffing;
    • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    • ½ pound fresh Italian sausage
    • 1 Granny Smith apple; peeled, cored, and diced
    • ¼ cup raisins
    • ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
    • 1 tablespoon butter
    • ¾ cup cubed bread for stuffing (I used store bought)
    • ¼ cup apple juice
    • Spicing to taste
    Browned off the sausage in a little oil and removed from the pan. Added the fruit and nuts to the oil and grease and cooked for a few minutes to soften. I then added the butter and continued the softening. With all the flavors melded and the sugars beginning to caramelize, I added back the sausage and the bread stuffing cubes along with the apple juice. I kept adding a bit more apple juice until I got a stiff but soft consistency to the stuffing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xeve stuffing.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	429629

.... I place the stuffing in a container and let cool in the frig while I splayed out my loin. I pounded out the thicker areas to get a consistent thickness of about 3/8" and gave the inside a generous seasoning with my pork rub (had also salt brined overnight) ......

Name:	xeve splayed.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	429630

.....after cooling, I applied the stuffing as you would with a fatty, rolled, trussed and seasoned the outside .........

Name:	xeve apply stuff.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	429631

Name:	xeve trussed.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	429632

.....cooked at 325* until I achieved an IT of about 150* (we prefer pork a bit on the rare side) with a carryover carving temp of about 155*. Also made some baked beans as one of the sides .......

Name:	xeve roasting.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	429633

.... as the roast approached the century mark, I gave it a good glazing or some Cookwell & Co. raspberry chipole sauce for a sweet and spicy finish ......

Roast came out fantastic. The sweet and savory note from both the stuffing and the glaze complemented the pork perfectly. This one is a keeper in my book ...... Troutman out !!!!

Name:	xeve sruffed section.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	429634

Looks fantastic!

Comment

Fabulous!

Comment

i need to buy me a pork loin

Comment

Troutman, you nailed it! Very inventive, and I love the fact that you don't overcook pork. This is one for the books, thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

Wow! Looks wonderful. I like your idea of Raspberry Chipotle Sauce.

Comment

That does look great.

Comment

Thanks for the props guys. Harry Soo has become a favorite and his recipes are in my permanent rotation.

Comment

I love seeing other people's cooks of pork loin.

I love not cooking them even more.

Comment

Fantastic.

Comment

Looks great. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Looks pretty tasty, Troutman . Thanks for the recipe and photos. Did the walnuts hold their texture?

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
                            Troutman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Walnuts were a bit soft after I chopped them but still had some crunch in the stuffing.

Can't handle fly's without wings, will substitute dried cranberries (cranraisins), will definitely make this

Comment

I just opened up a 5.5 pound portion of pork loin and dry brined for overnight. I'm planning on doing a play on this tomorrow. Because I'm lazy, it will be store bought stuffing, but the kind that gets fresh onion and celery instead of the more boring type. I have some pecans on hand for the nuts. I plan to add apple (I guess I'll give it a light saute with the onion and celery). The Italian sausage I have is hot, so this will have a kick.

Sadly, our local grocery no longer carries the bottled raspberry chipotle sauce, so I'm making my own. I found Emeril's recipe, but I only have enough raspberries to make half a recipe of the glaze. I had been planning to make the glaze and replace the raisins with more raspberries. Now I leaning toward using all the raspberries in the glaze and adding some fresh cherries to the stuffing instead of raisins.

Anyway, I'll hit it with MMD before assembling. I don't have butcher's twine on hand and I'm terrible at tying, so I'll hold the assembled beast together with skewers. I find that makes it a bit easier for me to turn the loin part way through cooking to get an even sear.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                              Ahumadora commented
                              Editing a comment
                              What times dinner? I am on my way!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here