Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation Pork Belly

My Amazing Barbecue Peeps!

I've eaten at a couple of cool, zippy (aka fancy pants) restaurants in the last 6 months and tasted some fun Pork Belly dishes. Our beloved Meathead has a pork belly sandwich and salad recipe on the main AR. But I'm just wondering what else there is to do on the ole' smoker to bring this beauty to head-turning life for us barbecue peeps?

Bacon, Char Siu, Siu Yuk (yeah, check out those Chinese recipes for good stuff).

Comment

I’ve got a lot of bacon to make before I start using pork belly for other stuff.

Comment

This is some seriously good eats: http://www.foxyfolksy.com/tocino-rec...et-cured-pork/ = Filipino pork belly "candy"

Smoke the belly first perhaps? Make a batch as described, then figure how to add Q to it.

I wouldn't follow the recipe when it comes to leaving it out overnight, nor do I "fondle" it (in a ZipLoc) for more than a minute.

Comment

I would have to do that Pork Belly Burnt End recipe with cherry wood before anything else. I also would not go so heavy on the honey, brown sugar, and butter on the back end.

Comment

• Corvus
            Corvus commented
            Editing a comment
            I've done the PBBE 3 times and they were excellent but I agree, next time I'll cut back on the back end glaze

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I did them SV and finished with pretty much straight Blues Hog original, and they came out nice enough for the wife to eat...

I just cannot get past Bacon!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	7F82CF34-8D1A-46C3-997A-43B71F78C0B4.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	429051

Name:	796898F9-5A7A-454F-AA6A-2B239947F361.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	429053Click image for larger version

Name:	DB59E917-DED0-400E-A60C-0606CF23B1B3.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	429052
          Applied the cure and seasonings, vacuum sealed to cure in fridge for 9 days, into the smoker on a cold winter night. The 2 in the front are maple sugar and espresso-the back 2 are dark brown sugar flavor. 3-4 hours of cool Apple smoke adds the finish to the flavor profile. Then back in a vac bag and freeze, slices nicely when frozen.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            looks so great!!

how is it different from your favorite bacon you've purchased?

• Oakgrovebacon
            Oakgrovebacon commented
            Editing a comment
            So much more flavor! We have not purchased bacon for about 3-1/2 years since I started curing my own. That batch was 48 lbs.

I agree with Oakgrovebacon hard to get past the bacon, I've tried the pork belly burnt ends but I will stay tuned for some expert opinions that may sway my thinking.

Name:	IMG_4321.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	429098

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
            Oakgrovebacon commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks so good!

No one wants to hear this, but there are other (possibly better) things to do with belly other than bacon.
          But a lot of them are braise or p-cooker type dishes, or sous vide.
          I've made this in a p-cooker:
          ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

This isn't too different from char sui.
          Shanghai-Style Braised Pork Belly (hong shao rou, 红烧肉) is a very famous dish in China. Everyone knows hong shao rou (red cooked pork) is a Shanghai favorite

Why should the Chinese diaspora have all the fun:

Heston:
          ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Simple Sous:

They make great burnt end type things, too.

And of course, bacon. But ultimately, sometimes you want a main protein, and not bacon.

Comment

Here's a crowd pleaser from Harry Soo.......

Pork Belly Pig Candy

Comment

Troutman you are right about a crowd pleaser. I did this recipe awhile back for about 6 people. Just seasoned smoked and glazed with Blues Hog and some others with Swine Apple. Huge hit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here