Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Cottage Roll Internal Temperature Need Quick Answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Cottage Roll Internal Temperature Need Quick Answer

Hi! The cottage roll that i put into the oven just now looks kind of like this

A sweet pickled cottage roll is a boneless pork shoulder butt cured (or lightly "pickled") in a sweet brine. It is an inexpensive cut but tasty. It will taste somewhat like ham, because it's salty.

Except it's not sweet pickled. Packaging looks similar

From what i've been reading, the cottage roll uses the pork shoulder butt

I stuck a temperature probe in there and the instructions on the back says to get it up to an internal temperature of 170

The website says to get to 160

On the joule sous vide circulator if i select the recipe:

Heavenly Honey Glazed Ham

This is what is says:

136F (fave): Firm like a steak with some pinkness
    140F: firm like a steak - just a little pinkness
    147F: tender and a little flaky
    154F: tender and pulls apart easily
    167F: very tender and pulls apart even more easily

They also show pictures too, but since i'm not using sous vide i want your opinion on what temperature i should cook it to
    Last edited by bezwong; December 22, 2017, 06:59 PM.

Probe tender or 155°

Comment

SV temps are not a guideline for traditional cooking, as the time required for SV tenderization of tough cuts will dry the cut out.

Comment

• bezwong
        bezwong commented
        Editing a comment
        That's sound about right. I don't have a problem with that.
        Last edited by bezwong; December 22, 2017, 09:38 PM.

Anyways i left the meat probe in there until it hit 155 as HouseHomey suggested.

Here are the pics

I don't think i'm a big fan of hams.

This one seemed too salty for my taste

Great for sandwiches i suppose.

Comment

Looks tasty!

Comment

• bezwong
          bezwong commented
          Editing a comment
          Good for sandwich's, father likes them

The web site you linked to in your first post above suggested simmering or cooking in a pressure cooker. Either method would result in some desalinization. Baking or roasting results in water loss and consequent concentrating of the salinity of the meat.

I've never cooked a cottage roll, but I have wet-cooked a number of my home-corned brisket flats, and I have found that even a relatively small flat piece of corned beef is still plenty salty after an overnight soak followed by simmering in fresh water.

I don't know how effective soaking a big hunk of meat like a cottage roll would be in removing salt from deep in the meat, but you could try it before roasting, if that's how you want to cook it in the future.

Comment

It looks pretty tasty bezwong ! but I'm with you if it's too salty for your taste. "A" for effort my friend!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here