Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exploring New Frontiers: Smoking Fresh Ham!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exploring New Frontiers: Smoking Fresh Ham!

My wife really likes ham!

Every thing that we've cooked using the great coaching of Meathead and all the peeps here in the Pit is better than what we get at the grocery store, retail restaurant, etc.

So isn't it time for Ham to step up to the plate?

I think so, too!

Welcome Mr. 17.8 Pound fresh ham!

...OK, I'm having trouble importing pictures from my phone to the PC. I'll put the pic's in a second post on the thread.

Per Meathead's instructions, I separated the skin and fat. It weighted 2.5 pounds!

I salted, about 1/2 teaspoon per pound. Then a generous portion of MD, along with a kicker of Cherry.

I'll light the fire in the morning and see if we can get her to 145 about lunch time!

#HamIsJoiningtheRibList

Let's do it! Cus I'm all about ham!

Comment

And...the Pictures!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	978611CA-6C18-4C95-99C1-D776AF3DCE95.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	415643

Name:	F562B881-0BE9-4FEB-A412-68984D9C7921.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	415645

Name:	EF92BB82-2317-42DE-BA65-90E675174D6D.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	415646

Name:	E2ED9FC6-A4AE-4447-A126-4C60CCF7D6E0.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	415644

Comment

Very interesting. My Albertsons never would cerry anything like that. You have got my attention fine sir!

Comment

Looking good! I’m certain this will be excellent!

Comment

Back to basics, very cool, especially with the out look of not an overabudance of sodium. I’ll be very interested in the final product.

Comment

I just saw those at the local Market Street here in TX. I was thinking I'd have no idea how to smoke a fresh ham. Looking forward to seeing/reading about the results!

Comment

Keep us posted...

Comment

Our dry-brined overnight 14-15 pound ham is on the Jambo, 7:50 am.

I love having my cloths smell like clean smoke from the pit! Challenge is to avoid the ugly smoke from just lighting the charcoal at the start. I light two chimneys, each 1/3 full so they get to clean fast!

Name:	FB0779AA-059F-4C6D-94C5-9C6D3E3990A2.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	415714

Plus, neighborhood cat stopped by. I fed her out of the lid of one of the Dutch ovens, of course

Name:	27CEE5A9-2A6A-423F-9BDD-241FABA71A68.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	415713

Comment

Looking good brother!!
                    you planning on slicing that bad boy up or just grabbing the handle and eating it cave man style?🤙

Comment

Looks great. I love fresh ham!

Comment

Lookin' like a great day, brother Paul!
                        Sweet lil' kitty, too

Comment

Pulled at 12:40, 145° in the deepest part of the center

Name:	68CF8C91-A618-4735-B8C3-B6B0E3E5733D.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	415796

Comment

• kmhfive
                            kmhfive commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Now that looks good!!! How does it taste?

Looks tasty, enjoy Paul 'n Crew!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here