Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday dinner (with a little drama)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday dinner (with a little drama)

As per my many recent posts, I keep enjoying the pork & beef cuts I get in my monthly subscription box from Sonrise Ranch. (I'm not affiliated other than as a happy customer, and I highly recommend Sonrise.)

Today I was just cooking for 2, so a little 2.3 lb piece of pork shoulder was perfect. I dry brined it overnight. Fired up the PK this morning to about 230-240. The pork got my homemade dry rub, which is a pretty standard recipe kinda like the Memphis Dust and thousand others.

I had it on and cooking around 8 a.m. with a couple chunks of avocado wood. Since it's such a small cut, I figured it would be done by mid-afternoon and I could rest it in a cambro while I cooked the veggies. (Spoiler - that's not what happened.)

It was up to 160 and hit the stall by early afternoon, then things took a bad turn. I added more charcoal and got sidetracked on doing some other things, then the fire burned down and airflow got choked with ash. The grill temperature dropped way down. I cleared out the ash, restarted the fire, and hoped for the best. By 4 p.m. internal temp was still only about 170, and I was hoping to eat at 5. I started the sweet potatoes (brushed with butter and S&P) and brussels sprouts (with chopped bacon, garlic, onion, red peppers), and kept hoping for the best. When 5 p.m. rolled around, the pork felt probe tender but was only at 177 internal temp.

I pulled it, cut it open and...
    It was perfect. Ridiculously perfect. Pork-candy, melt-in-your-mouth perfect. Not bragging - it was excellent meat and a lot of hoping for the best. Not much of a smoke ring visibly, but good smoky flavor.

And I remembered to take pictures.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171111_195500.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	409892
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171112_164915.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	409889Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171112_172943.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.83 MB ID:	409890Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171112_174023.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	409891
    Last edited by radshop; November 12, 2017, 09:35 PM.

Beautiful!

Comment

Well done.

Comment

Wonderful!

Comment

Looks great! I guess tou proved the principle of the importance of probe tender rather than temperature. Every hunk of flesh is different. Love the picture of the food on the PK!

Comment

• radshop
            radshop commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I love doing the whole meal on the grill like that when I can.

Good thing you remembered to take pictures, otherwise it would not have happened!

Comment

• radshop
            radshop commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm getting better after enough scoldings.

Beautiful cook

Comment

That really happened. I'd eat that all day! How were them taters? All of the worry and it's still Delicious! Sometimes we get caught up is the process and it textually different but still really good food.

Nice save!

Comment

• radshop
              radshop commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah - I'm glad I trusted the probe-tender feel and didn't let the number stop me from pulling it. Could have gone either way, but dumb luck prevailed this time.

• radshop
              radshop commented
              Editing a comment
              And the taters were good. 2 of them didn't quite get fully cooked, but that took 90 seconds in the microwave to fix. Slather in butter and chow down.

Hey, just wonderin, how was the meat, ok or perfect? Great lookin meal.
            Last edited by FireMan; November 13, 2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• radshop
              radshop commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me think it over...

• radshop
              radshop commented
              Editing a comment
              I just had leftovers and (you forced me to say it) - it was PERFECT!

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Thought so. 😎

Great story and great pics.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

radshop, Just What the Others Have Said‼️ 👍👍👍👍👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here