Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spare rib ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spare rib ?

I have smoked many bbr but I'm getting ready to do spare ribs for first time, should they cook the same as baby backs? thanks!

Cook method should be the same but expect the cook time to be a bit longer.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, is that due to it being a tougher meat the baby backs?

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Depending on your cooker as far as amount of time. On a kamado at 225-250F, BBs go about 5 hours and spares around 6.

• jgreen
      jgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      That is generally what I find too. About 1 hour longer as there is more connective tissue in spare.

What they said!

Comment

Spare ribs usually takes 1 - 1 1/2 hrs longer than babybacks.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup!

There is definitely more connective tissue on the spares. There is more meat between the bones. On the Baby Backs, the amount of meat is dependent on how much of the loin meat is left with the bones. Since the loin meat is very lean, the BBRs cook quicker.

I always ordered or cooked Baby Backs, until I made some St Louis cut spare ribs. Game over for me. They just taste better, and you'll have less chance of drying them out if you cook them slightly too long.

Jim

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, connective tissues & stuff, then DW’s 1-1/12 longer.

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        well I'm excited, the only reason I bought the spareribs is because there were no bbr on sale which I have 6 slabs frozen in my freezer so I didn't want to pay 3.99lb....ill post some pics soon, they have been on grill for about 1 1/2

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here