Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding ribs for a couple hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding ribs for a couple hours?

This will be my first cook at high altitude (7200") and first cook on my new MAK. I want to make sure my spares are done so they're going on pretty early. if they are done early I want to hold them in the best possible way. I assume if I want to hold my ribs for ~2 hours just wrap in foil and place in a cooler?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Missin44; October 21, 2017, 07:54 AM.

I’m not good at holding onto ribs — they start disappearing as soon as they come off the grill, but in theory, you can hold them. Your plan seems sound!

Comment

If you plan on saucing them, you might hold until either ~ 30 min or 10 min before serving time:

30 min before you can sauce them and put them back on the grill or in the oven somewhere between 225* and 275* to caramelize the sauce.

10 min before and you can put them under the broiler to caramelize the sauce.

If you sauce before holding, it may rub off when you unwrap.

Comment

ROn nailed it. I know people that take left over ribs and deep fry them in individual riblets too. Never tried them, but makes me think of bacon.......

Comment

I had to hold some ribs over for a hour once before serving. I just wrap them up in foil and put in cambro. Didn’t hurt them at all.

Comment

I have held ribs while waiting for sides to finish. Not a problem, restaurants do it all the time too.

Comment

I place them on an elevated rack in a foil pan. Then cover the pan with foil. Then place the pan in an oven that is at 170 F or set to warm.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here