Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Cooking on the PBC 2: Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HC, I just re-read your final analysis and looked again at those great photos. It's not even 9am and my tummy is rumbling at the thought of that amazing cook of yours. Enjoy eating those PBs and smoking more of them next weekend.

This was such a great topic to keep on top of. Thank you for all the work you did to make it instructional and interesting as well. The next best thing to smoking in my PBC is vicariously smoking in someone else's PBC.

Kathryn

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully this will help others to avoid the same mistakes I made.

I do want to contact Noah / PBC company about including some lid cracking instructions - even if they just include for troubleshooting.

The wife packed me a couple of barbeque sammies for lunch - might have lunch at 10am today!

Something else you might try is dumping all of your coals on one side and letting it spread from there, I have had good luck getting 10-12 hours with that. Pit Boss showed in his reverse sear post that you can get pretty high temps in the PBC with just a few coals. I use 10 and get a solid hour of 275, so in my mind any more than 10 or so lit at a time isn't adding a lot of heat, just burning down faster.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a good idea. I did notice that the butt closest to where I had the lid cracked was the most under done. Not sure how that affected the fire basket burn rate. Maybe next time I'll alternate which side I crack the lid on as well.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I try to crack opposite of the intake. I definitely get a burn progression. It is all lit, but what coals burn out, starts near the vent and works its way around. Drippings of meat will have an obvious affect.

I enjoy the residual burning from all the grease soaked briquettes once I am done cooking.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      I will give that a shot. I have been cracking the lid directly over the vent in the front.

I caught myself meandering in the plumbing dept at Lowe's mentally putting together my own stacks / vent. LOL

Terrific write up, terrific guidance and terrific product! Well done all round.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - this one was definitely a confidence builder on the PBC! Not sure I'll ever do another butt on the slow smoker again. Much less hassle and the taste and texture is on par with slow smoking.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here