Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Save My Butt Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Save My Butt Please!

I accidentally told my husband that we should pull this off of the smoker at 168 degrees then I remembered taking my last one to 203 but too late. He restarted the grill, put it back on and heated the grill to 275 but the pork still only went to 160 after 15 minutes. I think it stalled. We brought it in, wrapped it in foil and put in the oven at 350. It is now back to 170. Is this the best thing to do? We are going to pull it so I dont care if the bark comes off with the foil. Just don't want tough meat.
    Attached Files

Put it back on the grill. Crutch it there, if necessary. Don't panic.

Comment

If time is an issue then keep it wrapped and cook until it hits probe tender around 203.

Once done... You could unwrap it and put it on a hot grate for a bit to firm up crust or just leave it wrapped in foil then wrap with a towel and faux cambro it for a couple of hours.

that is a very forgiving cut of meat so you should be fine.
      Last edited by Nate; October 8, 2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Yup, assuming you want to eat it today, leave it wrapped but drop your temp in the oven or get it back on the grill. 275 to 300 should be OK, I feel like 350 is a little hot.

Comment

You’re recovering fine, but I’d drop the oven temp to 300F or slightly lower to prevent burning any sugar in the rub! You’ve captured most of the Smokey goodness off the grill. Keep it wrapped tight and once it’s probe tender let it rest in the oven with the oven either off or on warm for about two hours. It’ll pull nicely and be delicious!

Comment

What everyone has already said will work.It will turn out Great, good save.

Comment

I ran the pellet rig out during a butt cook and it cooled to about 155. Wrapped the butt, reloaded pellets and ran it up to 300. It came out fine and on time.

Comment

There are a lot of ways to successfully complete this cook, so you should be fine - just pick one.

Comment

How did it turn out? I've done shoulders start to finish at 325 in the oven and it was really good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here