Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat side up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat side up or down?

For Boston Butt, fat side up, down, or does it matter?

I point the fatty part towards the heat source. But I also trim pretty aggressively.

Comment

When doing pork butt on the Lang I put the fat side down to protect the meat from the heat also with the fat side up it can wash off some of the rub as it melts and run down the sides.

Comment

I'm also down with fat side down, fwiw...

Comment

Consider the fat cap the shock absorber... They work best under the load.

Comment

I'm a fat side up kinda of guy. Then I pick at the fat through the cook and reapply the love. Kinda like sunscreen. I'm not a heavy bark guy so it's all good.

Comment

I have Done Both, I saw no noticeable difference.

Comment

On my Lang, I start mine fat side down and turn it over after a few hours. It creates a great looking bark on the bottom with the imprint of the gates. After a few hours I turn it over to fat side up to finish it off.

Comment

I pretty much trim all of the fat off, so it doesn't really matter. But I think I usually have the once-fat-side up.

Comment

I trim it down as well, whatever is left goes fat side down on my WSM.

Comment

Story of my life. i never trimmed the fat.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana!

I trim it back a lot but typically go cap down to act as barrier against the heat. Plus the fat sizzling back up creates a unique flavor.

Comment

No fat left on mine. I also trim out that thick membrane.

Comment

I trim pretty aggressively for mobark!

Comment

I’m with@EdF and DWCowles on this one: fat cap towards heat source.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here