Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faux Cambrua vs. Rest - pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faux Cambrua vs. Rest - pork

Does Faux Cambrea time count as rest for a pick butt? If I wrapped it in foil and put it in my over at 150 for an hour, is that counted towards my "resting the meat" time? Or do I need to let it rest at room temperature after the oven?

thanks to all for the help!
    T

Ideally, you shouldn't need to let it rest in the oven. Wrap it in foil and then a towel, and toss it in a cooler or something. This, I think, would do the same thing as keeping it in the oven.

Comment

i don't think any BBQ needs "rest", they need "holding", but that's just my opinion

Comment

Just to be clear. "Resting" and holding are two different things. "Resting" is when we let meat sit out, at room temp after removing the meat from the heat. (Meathead does not recommend this. More here)
        "Holding" is when you are attempting to retain the heat within the meat for was long as possible. This step is essential to achieving moist brisket or even pork shoulder. (More here)

If you don't have a cooler to put the meat into, turn your oven to about 170 F. Double wrap the pork butt in foil and place in the oven for at least two hours. You do not need to let it "rest" after taking it out of the hold. Just pull it and serve immediately.

Comment

Thanks Spinaker. So it sounds like you take your pork butt off the smoker at 203 internal and immediately get to pulling it (assuming pulled pork is what you're making)

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            And don't forget that temp is just a guide. You pull it when it is done, ( a probe inserted in the meat should slide in with no resistance - like a knife in soft butter). Some butts will be done before they reach 203*, and some at higher temps. I normally start checking for tenderness between 190* and 195*.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            A warm oven or a faux cambro work equally well - it's up to you how to hold it.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Good points on temps being guides not set in stone. RonB

Seems like holding makes it better, and resting just makes it colder. I say just go Faux Cambro for a bit while you get the table set, or longer if you need more time. Don't worry about resting the meat.

Comment

Both brisket and butts and other large muscles with plenty connective tissue benefit from a 2 hour or so hold.

Pork is best pulled HOT.

Brisket is best sliced at about 145 internal (+/-) to help with the integrity of tender slices, therefore a little resting of a brisket after holding to allow the internal to drop some is good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here