Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White meat attached to Pork Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White meat attached to Pork Butt?

Smoked some Pork Butt tonight on the PBC and noticed that about 75% of the meat was probe tender at was ready to pull at 200 degrees, but there was a smaller quarter that was still lagging behind at ~187 (which was odd since it was a thinner section), but had to pull anyways since people were getting hungry.

When I started to shred that section wasn't ready and figured I could chop it instead but noticed that the entire sections was leaner and appeared to be white meat (e.g., similar color and texture that I see in pork loin).

Tried looking around a bit to see if this is just normal (e.g., some of the meat near the bone takes longer to cook do to the insulation the bone provides, some of the butt closer to the shoulder or loin will be white meat instead of dark meat, etc.), but was surprised to see some white meat in the pork butt (see picture, top left quarter section)

If curious on actual cook as it may relate to the temperature delta:

- Used PBC
    - 1 Pork Butt (8.1lb pre-trimming, trimmed off ~0.5 lb of hard white fat off of the top, left about 1/4" - 1/8" on some sections), dry brined with ~19g of kosher salt on all 4 sides for ~36 hours (put in at 8pm on 9/29), rubbed with Meathead Memphis Dust rub on all sides
    - Hung using 2 double hooks vertically on one rebar
    - 10/10/10 lighting method with Kingsford Professional Charcoal (40 in chimney, 1 apple wood chunk on bottom of coals, 1 on top for lat 10 min preheat)
    - Full charcoal basket (O-ring)
    - Added 2 piece of apple wood
    - Cooked unwrapped the entire time (2hrs 45 min on hooks, remaining ~5 hours on the grate)

Click image for larger version

Name:	22089965_10101317742235808_8354365643253268860_n.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	389188
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dshein01; October 1, 2017, 10:44 PM.

Normal! Good looking butt!

There's one muscle that's sort of triangle shaped at the big end that tapers around on the bone side. This muscle is solid white meat, not even a little pinkish. This is one of my choicest cuts on any butt, but not for "normal" reasons. If you slice it super thin, it makes great muffaletta-ish sandwich with ham, cheeses and olive relish. Here it is presented as part of a pork entry for a BBQ contest. I quit giving it to judges!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	389332

Comment

• dshein01
      dshein01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! Glad to know not completely crazy , out of curiosity, does it tend to cook a bit slower (or do you have a diff target temp / tenderness for it?). Noticed it was lagging the rest of the butt by almost 15 degrees at the end, curious if its a combo of bone + less intramuscular fat

Love that white chunk. I've watched Butcher's BBQ yank that thing out whole and slice it up nicely like CandySue.

Comment

• dshein01
      dshein01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, ended up just chopping it up and mixing it in with the rest of the pulled pork, had great flavor (slightly drier), but likely should have just pulled it a bit earlier vs. waiting for same level of tenderness

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here