Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing Issue - Smoke the pork on Friday, Finish in Oven on Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Issue - Smoke the pork on Friday, Finish in Oven on Sunday?

Hey everyone - going to take advantage of the amazing July weather we are having and head down to Cap May NJ for a long weekend with a few other families. We are getting a great off season rate on a house, but no idea if there is a grill of any kind there. I'm on pork duty for one of the nights for four families, so a few butts is right in line.

So, my questions is, can I modify the fast method from the perfect pulled port recipe to get some flavor on on Friday morning, say 225 for three hours, then throw the butts on ice, bring them down to the house, and finish them at 335 in the oven on Sunday? I know the flavor wont be the same, but if I cook them to 200 or so, they should be pretty solid.

The other option is to SV, ice bath, then finish them in the oven when I get there. Any suggestions on what might bring the best flavor, but not get everyone sick?

I have fully cooked pork butts on my Kettle + SnS, pulled, bagged and chilled (or even frozen when transporting them over a day trip, days later), then re-heated in the ziplock bags in my small cooler with my Joule. This way I got the full flavor of that incredible bark. If I notice any dryness (which I rarely do) I add a little butter and water.
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; September 25, 2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Since you don't know whether you have any smoke source out there, I'd go with your first plan and skip the SV.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Though I've done smoke first a few hours, SV to cooked, then on the high heat for a bit of barking it up. Comes out great.

Problem with this one in your scenario is you're going to want to either ice it after the SV, and then figure out how to warm it up best, or finish the SV bit right before you go and cambro it. Whether that will work depends on how many hours drive and whether you're first.

Thanks - I did two and half hours yesterday morning on the kettle + SnS, got some color, and now throwing them into the oven. The look pretty good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A3F370D-7998-4170-8405-533CA76B95E8.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	388211

Comment

Just pulled at 200 from the oven. Not the same bark, but pretty good considering!! Click image for larger version

Name:	FE710FBC-B8CE-460A-8D56-861DC655851E.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	388359Click image for larger version

Name:	FE710FBC-B8CE-460A-8D56-861DC655851E.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	388360

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like it turned out fine!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2F806561-0000-4599-B6BA-624942B1C31A.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	388365 Almost forgot, this is the side dish, so perfection is not needed:

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Well played, Sir

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here