Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should ribs have an odor when you first open them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should ribs have an odor when you first open them?

morning all:

i have noticed on 2 different occasions I open pork from reputable grocers and they have a bit of an odor. I can't believe that's normal. Both instances, ribs and tenderloin, were packed in that real tight fitting plastic. In other words, not in the styrofoam tray with cling wrap over the top. Is this normal?
    thanks,

Tom

What brand were they? Were they the same brand each time? I'm just thinking if you mention which kind they were, people will be able to share what their experience has been with the same and hopefully you can figure out what's "normal."

Comment

There can be a strong aroma when you first open a vac sealed pack. If it smells rotten then no go but the aroma should dissipate after a bit.

Comment

I notice it too sometimes, usually the cryovac ribs or butts from Costco. I almost always notice a very slight smell right when I break the bags seal, but after I rinse the meat off it goes away. In one (or maybe two) cases ribs continued to smell very bad and very noticeably. In fact the smell would hit me full on in the face an hour or so after I salted them and put them back into the fridge to dry brine. In those cases I brought them back to Costco and replaced them (with no issues from Costco). So a tiny bit right when opening is probably fine, but real strong or lasting real long and I personally wouldn't cook them.

Comment

If it's a sulfur-like smell, then yeah, that can happen sometimes with cryovac and is no big deal.

Comment

Here is what I do when I get that smell, and it works: Rinse the ribs really well and then salt them down. Put them in the fridge for an hour or so. If the smell is gone, you're good to go. If the smell is still there, toss them.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              What He Said ^^^^^++++

Never bought ribs that weren't in a butcher case.

Comment

Yep, unfortunately it is pretty normal especially with pork. Like stated above rinse them and check again. If it goes away with the rinse I am happy, if not I return them.

Comment

We've had this happen twice (over 2-3 years) with cryovac-ed rack of lamb from Costco. Pretty strong smell. We tossed 'em both times--an 80 mile trip (one way) for a refund wasn't in the cards. Haven't seen this with pork yet and we do buy ribs and tenderloins a lot. I'll follow this thread with great interest.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea I've had it with lamb as well. Also buy ground veal in a plastic container and there's almost always a funky smell. Never gotten ill from either one.

Totally normal. Just not rotten.

Comment

I'm with Thunder77 on this one. If the smell stays after rinsing et.c., then they're bad. But it is common for cryo-vaced meats.

Comment

Don't worry - you are not alone with the question. Here are some threads about the very same questions:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nk-costco-ribs

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...out-of-package

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...resh-ribs-reek

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm worried since I'm in SFLA, they didn't stay cold enough with Irma. I usually don't buy ribs in cryovac packages but that's all they had

Comment

Here's a link to an article that might help: http://www.meatupdate.csiro.au/data/...ging_04-88.pdf . Too much detail, but "professional".

My thought is that this is not common at all--only twice in my life and we do buy Costco cryovac meat often--but evidently "normal" at times and is due to cryovac packaging. The linked article does note that if the smell persists the meat flavor will be tainted. I'll continue to toss strong smelling meat until I get better/stronger evidence that the smell is indeed not an indication of a health risk.

docblonder
                        Last edited by Willy; September 13, 2017, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Taking them back. If I'm investing hours to make a great rack of ribs, better to be sure I'm starting with top quality meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here