Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pancetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pancetta

Anyone here make it and have a tried and true recipe?

Ruhlman has a good recipe. It's basically unsmoked bacon that's cured with herbs and spices, and rolled.

Ate some on recent trip to Piemonte that was served thin sliced and uncooked.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Seconded - great recipe!

So after being cured it does not have to be cooked?

Comment

At least how they eat it in the northwest of Italy.

Heres the process, though in Italy, they are all rolled like sausage.

im not sure Meathead and company would advise eating raw after thin slice, and I prefer the cooked version, a fully cured pork belly should be fine to eat raw. It's why pancetta at the store is sold in the deli counter, next to the other ready to eats, and not with the bacon.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        I second the recommendation of Ruhlman's recipe! Very savory! I roll it rather than do the slab version. There is virtually no risk of trichinosis in North American domestic pork. Have nibbled a little uncooked pancetta and it is tasty, but I too prefer it lightly cooked.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I've only used it cooked, generally as part of various Italian dishes.

I have used the dry bags from Umai. Final product came out great.

Gift ideas for the home dry-aging steak maker, charcuterie maker, and salumi maker. Give the gifts of home-made, dry-aged meat creations.

Comment

Sorry, I guess it was capicolla.

Still great stuff though!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7141.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	379033

Comment

• R2rusmc
          R2rusmc commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG!!!!!! OK. I'm planing a charcuterie tray for thanksgiving and I want that on it. Drop dips.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          For capicolla, be sure to use a paprika with a little heat. The one I did that way turned out good but needed a little more "kick".

• R2rusmc
          R2rusmc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the pointer HorseDoctor.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here