Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Pork Belly Burnt Ends..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Pork Belly Burnt Ends..

Tried my hand at pork belly burnt ends today using this guide. Sprinkled MMD, but with hot paprika. They smelled great and looked great and most guest loved them. I thought they were too sweet, pretty much like candied bacon. Next time, I will cut down a bit on the brown sugar and the BBQ drizzle at the end...

Click image for larger version

Name:	LMnckYE9w9ES6sFQ_dXP5BJeerQPwrazZVaVqTmewZ5MJI67kK9IdPeaKPeYPYJRG8Mgy8BsWmBTIgXjx7NVWJ5MFiRK-WG0PknFi_USzKEy-VFNZ9r4ziBwHuoRzJF6lhpxp8SwGlUomEZVUtnDI1i9su79dLTvOIxXRFsGzt0HED-Cd1sd4SQqRvBeftOdfhNRCo18ooJ8m6XzYN4gHsJeRLJLiu6YnkAOfjbxLzN6BdVsqhYPxejg9MT6bK8
Views:	69
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	374911

Name:	HdMngzR8CPxY1tJM71-L2jOQre0TEpnJv3-yVj9F3GAgWlyHFEJm80h9qJ7Oge0xpjk0hjH8LbHxaN_4SNDaGCqA9QUFkQqCvt-Cf-KEn8EUBzSRNgNvEbh4AGBWNaNsWfA_IgQXxZElwjSD0-F74EZwoD3EC9HcEa03Y5OzYUoWqyt0pn1tNSDt3LQ8D4-1RncaMb9mAYsCmHavb9IRhpSl4r01JROZS100lJakEuvaA64vLli9RKs2DBnxsJy
Views:	44
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	374912

Name:	672kitKkQGoUTpAR01L-UHzLHB8Rv7BwpP1vFWU0lm_B8zxEL2l5buJQd_Z1vLQUfG7RjQeFhS5jKbY8MxQVMoytWHh2MMUGoohdfHD75KLZwKLShU3vS5stvhbCZJNsG8CsHtv803YzA7OPmhGghxKCX4OflvGttpr8Yhs8kVR-0GG67wD0cXagAeaEL8sKgVCH_p4m0DhZABm0EA3D_v53PRWXJV_Vu9e5iUrGO3heruR5cjC25CwkcD1gfWg
Views:	39
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	374913

Name:	dbmk1zeQKKADqIM31uZClsW0D4Kphcch4hFHf0fayJ2tvQFBieeHbSE9bmy2EzZBh7N1emSxKlAWZ1-NLi8fPF5btIENfaBzr9SJDOTDuaJnyHKEtqWoo-yOQ2CryP_ReU13RAj1Xl8KsKcc5jkItf_KqiinUlV6QJcPv9AJqnivEj4pjkBoqKHSSTfgTZ7vCBvJyFUbO2SZenbw4BzYpJD4olgz-Fp9UoSI5n5GuwxDXZB2PSHhkjRR3fldF4I
Views:	38
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	374914

Name:	3rwWc47SnWBfy0eUYDdEsBO6N8TkXkzj2noqRMeJ1HcNyK-DMt7UzpUfX8Y9YOITTr5WYnnqUhcqJr5ydJ1qVFKzGDMMBnwEHtcbgCIsIBwbL5gQvt5M6vbVx9Qx0Bt-90WnVQ01v4lNb3D-zz8evapPn0GD0mMn7yE3v4fTP2w7Dk4rdCufDgPGlUoKiNtCz55JJfFDEmVC6A46pyDHn7lhSzGsImullfD7xa0-Je32HtCzOrDpaPRfHKtuYiG
Views:	39
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	374915

Name:	7LamjI0xvHNSKg2bHmcygOT0cpbC887r35WJFHtT0dFN4t-N7lOuSs0mvQSmGv3FPY55J7MuYcMq8AlvF5zLEzrhAUPhlyepwLiisR_NO22yq4AmJbGsHD4sVID53vwyqLiFTqHF5kD5v-nNpZDXaV2WmfsPFZOOrvWOiYF0z_Ir6KMIgcFJPLxTFj4QU1PG9eu4kmXhVrlyM0BSxlrAKwla_hdweuRk7nrI23TeQ_5z5P1UsrNe0v7XdKORaB7
Views:	36
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	374916

Name:	AUoN1F-MUKl4OmskKqmpKUXIWPg_clg8DuYbnMxnqfyV_lLlNySCGWOueTmf560hHs0o3cr9UTbSXM5pSx2QtzbSW3lZouLsW5Uqxh6UNBDHuW0_pCRD2ZFKVwuuNzyDtqpshIO2rw_IqYHZpeNQ_GuSujaZcEVyXAXZvTefTMet_Sa4EJ2WHtYCIrfzsqBPYx_ruwozolSfLeq1NmDFvi7OX09VNte6NAk8jITeA-GCnFnrEfYwzCMx5C1yz3W
Views:	40
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	374917

They look great.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Dang that looks delicious. Can you email me a few of those??? Really hungry now!!

Comment

Looks good...I added some red pepper flakes to the glaze to give them a little heat to go with the sweet...

Comment

I like the red pepper idea. I am sure I'll "practice" again soon to continue to perfect the taste.

Comment

Wow those look good.

Comment

That looks awesome, I just remembered I have some cubed belly that I had slated for cracklins but this might be a better option.

Comment

Doing the same thing this weekend.. Was thinking of trying Meathead's new Banh Mi recipe rub and glaze. Sounded different and interesting!

Comment

I tried the same recipe last weekend for my first time and my guest went crazy! AWESOME. I can't believe I haven't tried pork belly before but this is a new must do side every time I fire up the smoker. So easy and so good! Highly recommend if you haven't tried pork belly before.

Comment

• PappyBBQ
                      PappyBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I haven't tried pork belly yet. First time this weekend. I am looking forward to it!!

Pork belly, in its many forms, is the food of the gods!

Comment

Those look great! That belly cost twice as much as mine did at the local grocery store here which is surprising. I made two batches, a few weeks apart as my first batch didn't work out so well as I wasn't paying attention to my smoker temps and it got way too hot... second batch came out spectacular! I recommend trying them on Chinese Pork buns with some quick picked cucumbers. They are spectacular!!

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Got a recipe for those buns?

• 6th Borough BBQ
                        6th Borough BBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        below...

Sure...it's not scientific as I eyeball most of it and basically made it up. This is what I do:

I follow the standard Pork Belly Burnt Ends recipe as usual. While they are cooking, Slice up some small-cucumbers (the smallest width/thin ones you can find so they are firm and not super full of seeds). Place the sliced cucumbers in a small bowl, sprinkle with kosher salt while mixing to be sure you get them all covered as you would if salting meat for a dry brine. Add white sugar to the cucumbers. The ratio should be about 3-1 Sugar-Salt. They will be both salty and sweet. Mix them up and let them marinate in the refrigerator. Mix them occasionally until you use them. The good thing about these is they do not take a ton of time to pickle and will taste great even in as little as an hour. They will look dry at first but the moisture will pull out over time and as you mix them they will be fairly firm but gather more and more juice.

For the pork bun, I cheat as it is easy and they still taste great and buy them frozen and a local Asian grocery store. You want the ones that are round and fold in half like a sandwich. I put a pick so you can see what they look like. I steam them for about 30 minutes and they come out perfect. You can also make them from scratch pretty easily, but these taste great and and are super easy.

Once the pork belly is cooked, I top the bun with the pickled cucumbers, and a small amount of Hoisin Sauce (available everywhere in the asian section of grocery stores), and finally add the pork.

I promise they come out amazing and are super simple. I used to make tacos for the most part with leftovers and extras, but now do this frequently instead as they are better and more exotic. You can also use the same buns and recipe with pulled pork and brisket. All are amazing.

The picture I posted is an example and not one of mine as I haven't taken pictures of the process but wanted you to see what the buns look like. Click image for larger version

Name:	steamed-pork-buns.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	377045

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Awesome. Thanks!

• 6th Borough BBQ
                        6th Borough BBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Forgot to mention - sprinkle with crush peanuts to taste also at the end.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here