Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of salt is best when dry brining.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of salt is best when dry brining.

Is one salt better than another? When dry brining a pork butt or brisket does the type of salt matter? Which one is best - Kosher salt, sea salt or Morton's table salt.

I haven't used regular table salt in years. I use Diamond Crystal kosher salt or San Francisco Salt company grey salt.
    I think it is matter of the cook's choice. Kosher salt does take longer to dissolve though. There's been times when I still had salt grains still on the surface after a few hours into brining.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, I'm grabbing a bag this week.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with the Diamond Crystal. Also, I think its sodium content might be a little lower than other salts. You might want to check sodium content for different salts if this is important to you.

CI has some interesting info regarding table salt vs. larger crystal salts.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      To Ernest # 2.4

Agreed that Kosher is a waste to cook with. Use table salt. Kosher ( or other larger crystals ) can be also used as a final seasoning to add a salty "crunch" to the end product.

Sprinkle from on high to have a greater distribution over the product.

Table salt does the job a tiny bit faster. Salt in a dry brine does nothing until it has dissolved, so there's no advantage to using Kosher. The larger grains are apparently easier to taste, so it makes a difference when seasoning food right before serving.
    Check out this thread for some recommendations for how to use it in a dry brine:

Comment

We recommend kosher salt because it's easier to see how much you've applied. It sits on the surface a few minutes and then dissolves. Table salt disappears almost immediately so it can be hard to tell how much you have applied and spots you may have missed. Sea salt or salt that is crystal in nature can take hours to dissolve into the meat, so we don't recommend using it for that reason.

Comment

Thank you all for the answers!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here