Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scheduling Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scheduling Ideas?

i am planning to have a pork butt done for a dinner later tomorrow afternoon--4:00 - 5:00. Figuring this may take 12 hours and knowing I can hold it for a couple hours if it finishes early, I figure tihat the Kmamdo should be lit about 4:00 am.

Seems there are two optins:
    1) haul my butt (ahem) out of bed at 4:00 am, or
    2) have the meat done way early and reheat.

I am hoping you smart people have other ideas...

What do you do for an afternoon meal?

I'd be starting at 2AM if you're counting on a 12 hour cook.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And 11pm if you want to count on a 15 hour including a few hours in the cambro. That's the BreadHead approach.

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with EdF. Start at 11PM. If it only takes 12-hours, the rest time will be well spent. Wrap tight and keep a temp probe in it in the Cambro. If the temperature drops to 150F, you can put it in an oven on "keep warm" or a crock pot to keep it above 140F until serving time.

If you are not decently versed in butts I would throw it on no later than midnight and get some sleep with a low and high temp alarm. Wake up have some coffe at 4 or 5 and carry on. If the bark hits the fan later you can wrap it should you choose. Rest time in the Cambro should not be optional on a big butt... I can not lie.

Comment

Because you are cooking on a Kamado, as long as you have a sufficient fuel supply, I would go with the 11pm suggestion. It will hold just fine. You will get more sleep and will enjoy the party.

Comment

Glad I asked, then. The 11:00 start is completely doable. It's a 9 lb bone-in so it could run a little long anyway.
        Thanks for the input! I'll drop a pic tomorrow.

Comment

Like others said- night before and you can hold it for a while in a faux cambro before you pull at eatin' time. Will be great that way.

Comment

I've got 2 8 lb. butts which are the same thickness. Would they cook faster on the upper rack of my Grand Slam pellet smoker vs. the grates due to increased air flow? I'll also use my Blaz'n Smoker Pro (similar to A-Maze-N tube) along with a water pan. I'm thinking that they'll take about 16 hours at 225, (2 hrs./lb.) and I plan to put each of them in an aluminum half-pan and cover with foil when they're at 170, then up the pit temp to 275-300. I also plan to foil, wrap in towels, and put in the cooler for 2 hours before pulling. So based on all that, I'm thinking they need to go on at midnight in order to have them ready for dinner at 6 PM on Sat. I'd appreciate any suggestions on my plan and if my proposed 18 hours from start to finish is realistic, or if I should be starting them even earlier Friday night?

Comment

• kmhfive
              kmhfive commented
              Editing a comment
              Starting by midnight should be fine. I wouldn't think the upper rack air flow will make as much difference as a temperature difference. The cooker is going to attempt to maintain the lower grate temperature, so watch actual grate temperature and adjust accordingly.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here