Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terra cotta covered roaster instead of aluminum foil for Texas crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terra cotta covered roaster instead of aluminum foil for Texas crutch

I am new to smoking meats and on a steep learning curve. For instance, I just made pulled pork and learned about the stall AFTER I had already given up on any continuing rise in the temperature of the meat. I achieved success, but my technique was improvised. I would appreciate feedback on using aluminum foil as a wrap on the pork butt, versus the method I used with a terra cotta covered roasting pan. I skewered boneless pork butts from Costco on the turkey hangers for the PBC, rubbed them with olive oil and Butt Rub and then hung them at about 335. Meat was about 53. Temp came down to 260, pretty much stayed there with the usual fluctuations of the PBC. Meat zoomed to 150 in about an hour and a half. Took another four hours to get to 159, at which point I gave up on the PBC. Transferred the butts to a terra cotta covered roasting pan, and put them in the oven (I know, heresy to depart from the charcoal smoker), and kept them in there for three hours at 275. They came out at 203. I did not add a liquid to the roaster. I wanted to have the un-enhanced flavor of the pork. Check out the photos of the pan and the results, and let me have your opinions on this method versus the foil wrap and grill approach. Thanks.

Just about all my stuff gets transferred to the oven when it gets wrapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Just about all my stuff gets transferred to the oven when it gets wrapped.
      Same here. Once sealed in foil, the meat doesn't know whether it's still over charcoal, wood, or even in an indoor kitchen oven. At that point, heat is heat.

That said, there is no reason your terra cotta dome over a pan wouldn't work as long as the dome seals the pan completely.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; September 2, 2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Plus the foil stays cleaner in the oven.

I use a Lodge Dutch oven in the BBQ for the same thing.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4, Why have You been keeping this "GREAT IDEA" SECRET ❓ Spinaker will Wear the Tires Off His Vehicle trying to Get to the Garage and Estate Sales ahead of Everyone Else‼️ 🤗😇🤗
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Danjohnston949 - No, I have mentioned it before and yes, Spinaker took only a few seconds to respond. By the way, my secret is that I bought a double set of Tramontina cast iron skillets from COSTCO last week for $21. Whoohooo!! They are too pretty to even unbox!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here