Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Double Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Double Header

I posted in a previous post that I'm providing lunch for my fantasy football league's 10 year reunion/draft day (next weekend). And due to it needing to be ready for lunch, 2 hours away from where I live, and the fact that I'm making pulled pork (which is a 10+ hr cook) - I'm going to be doing my first ever overnight slow cook on my little Weber kettle, Rudy. I will also be using a faux cambro for the first time ever.

I got some great advice, and I think I'm prepared to pull this off, but I decided not to wait and just find out whether or not I can do it and possibly be in trouble at the last second, so I'm doing a trial run this weekend. I have the first butt (a nearly 10 pounder) salted and in the refrigerator, and the fire will be lit around 8pm tonight. The last (and only other) time I did one, my grill went for 9 hours keeping the same temp and not having to have any additional charcoal added, so I'm hoping it will be up to the task again, even at night. I have added the Thermoworks Smoke to my arsenal, so I'll be "keeping an eye" on it, even while my eyes are closed tonight.

10 lbs of pulled pork is a ton for my family of 4, so I managed to find another family to invite over tomorrow for lunch to help us eat it. That's about the same number of people I'll be cooking for next weekend too (10). I'm also going to try making some southern baked beans for the first time - also a trial run for next weekend.

The official menu for next weekend's lunch is:
    - Pulled pork
    - Homemade Carolina Gold and Lexington Hot sauce
    - Buns (optional)
    - Southern Baked Beans
    - Corn/tomato/lime/avocado/etc. I guess you'd call it a salad (in the style of macaroni salad) - my wife's specialty so she's making this
    - Watermelon

(the corn, tomatoes, and watermelon will all be from our garden)

This post is a little premature, but I plan to post my results and photos (or it didn't happen!) as I progress through the next 9 days. So stay tuned!

My previous post: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-and-planning

It'll all come together great! Especially since you're being proactive. Have fun and post pics!

Comment

Sounds like you have a good plan, j_keegan! I will offer some free advice, which is worth every cent you will pay for it. Make sure when you transport the meat in the cooler, put it in the trunk or otherwise outside the passenger compartment of your vehicle. A couple of times during football season last year, I did exactly what you are planning and transported almost 2 hours away to shred and serve. The first such event, and as much as I love the smell of smoked pork butt, I was feeling a little nauseous by the time I got there!

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        How long did that smell linger?

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        It aired out just fine once I got the cooler out and had the windows down. There was just something about that intense aroma in an enclosed space for that long...

• j_keegan
        j_keegan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man, I wouldn't have thought of that Steve R. - thanks for the heads up!

It will turn out great! The 2 hour drive is just perfect for the faux cambro. Wrap those babies, get in the car, unwrap and take in the awe from your fellow footballers!

As for trial run: I cannot praise that move enough. That's what I do all the time, takes all the guesswork out of the equation. Will follow this one, good luck!

Comment

Great decision on the trial run. You'll be pleased with the result! Do post pictures if it happens

Comment

Trial runs are a win - win. You get to eat the trial now, and then the meal later.

Comment

• j_keegan
            j_keegan commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly! Shoot, after two weeks in a row, it might even become tradition...

I got a little behind while cooking other things this evening (which won't be the case next week), and the butt went on at 8:51pm. Memphis Dust all over and a mixture of apple and oak for wood chunks. And of course KBB. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6169.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	364805Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6170.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	364806Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6171.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	364807

Comment

Woke up at 5am this morning to this:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6173.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	364935
            I was a bit nervous about it making it through the night and I think I put a bit more charcoal than usual. Also tried to hedge my bet a bit when setting the temp, so went a bit higher to keep it from dropping partway through the night. So it ran a little hotter all night (about 240-250 for the last 7 hours), but it's pretty much done now.

Awesome to wake up to such an amazing smell!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6174.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	364936
            The only bad thing is that it's now done so quickly that I'm not sure what to do with it for 7 hours. I'm going to get the faux cambro ready and use it for 3-4 hours just to see how that goes, and then I'm not sure what.

Should i shred it and refrigerate, then warm in a crock pot or something? Should I put it in the oven on 170 and try to hold it for a few hours?
            Open to suggestions here...

I definitely didn't anticipate it being done so quickly. But the good was is the overnight part and my grill holding a steady temp worked well.

Comment

Decided to not be in a rush and let it go a few degrees higher while I prepared the faux cambro and made some sauces: Columbia Gold and Lexington Hot. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6175.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	364942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6176.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	364943 Going to go get ready to cambro this bad boy...

Comment

What a morning! Great looking PB! Is it probe tender?

Keep the thermometer in it while in the cooler. Watch the temperature. If it gets to about 140, keeping it tightly wrapped, put it in the oven on warm. OR, if the crockpot has a "keep warm" setting, you could unwrap and add it and the juice to the crock pot at that point.

Dont shred until just before eating. Add the juices back after shredding.

Comment

• j_keegan
                  j_keegan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I forgot the temp probe. :/ now I don't want to unwrap it. But I made a note for next time!

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It'll be good for at least 4-hours. Use an instant-read probe to check it then.

The bone was loose, which is my version of probe tender.

kmhfive can you keep it in the oven on warm for an hour or so without it drying out?

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just keep it wrap tight

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What @DWCowels said.

Put it in an oven bag, if you have one, before wrapping. It will help confine the juices. You can also leave it in the bag for reheating if necessary.

Comment

• j_keegan
                  j_keegan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the tip!

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You bet.

Faux cambro for 4 hrs. When meat came out, internal temp was 150-160. Added shredded meat, drippings, and some butter to crockpot and set to warm to await lunch time. Taste is good!

Comment

Trial run was a success! Adults and kids enjoyed the pork and several talked about how moist it was. Since that was the thing I was worried about the most, I feel confident I can do the same and get good results next weekend too.

This weekend I:
                  - put it on around 9pm and cooked overnight at about 240-250F.
                  - at 5am it was at 198F internal temp
                  - 6:30 pulled off and put in pre-warmed faux cambro for 4 hours.
                  - at 10:30, internal temp was still 150-160
                  - shredded it, then put it in crock pot with drippings and some butter.
                  - kept it on warm for an hour and a half, stirring a couple of times to work the drippings through.
                  - served at noon. It was delicious, moist, and warm.

That worked well enough I plan to do the same thing next weekend
                  Attached Files

Comment

• gcdmd
                    gcdmd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bravo!

Looks really good! Well played. You're all set. Have a good weekend!

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And you'll be so much more relaxed having done it once already!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here