Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Individual Pulled Pork Sammiches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Individual Pulled Pork Sammiches

Me and my better half have been toying with an idea lately. What is the best part of pulled pork? The BARK, duah! Well, in the past, at thanksgiving, I have cooked individual Cornish game hens as individual personal turkey servings, and thought we could do the same with pulled pork. We were thinking, I could take a pork shoulder, bone it out, cut it up into LARGE country style ribs, and then make individual servings to pull your own sandwich. I would take each strip, inject it, dry brine it, and then smoke it...maybe an hour and a half or so. Then dump them all into an aluminum bbq pan, and roast until close to 203. At the end, take them out, firm up the bark on the grates, and serve them with buns, pickles, and slaw. Of course I woulddry brine them, and rub them first. Wouldn't that maximize the amount of bark each person got, and make it kind of neat for everyone to pull their own sandwich. THoughts?

I love country style ribs. I just dry brine then run to about 200 internal, then sauce them and crank up the heat to bring the internal back up.

Comment

Smaller pieces make more bark, true! Just gotta be careful they don't get too dry being small. I've done half-butts that came out amazing. Maybe a practice run with different size cuts is in order? Pictures if you can!

Comment

You never know until you try! I endorse cutting butts up into small butts for the same reason. I like to smoke 3-4lbers myself. I've never tried smoking strips for sammies though. I agree it could be tough but hey why not try. I do think they'll need more than just taking up to 203ish, they'll most likely still need another hour or two after that to soften. It's not just temp, it's time and temp. They'll cook quicker being strips so you'll need to give them some extra time I think.

Comment

I would have to agree that you need extra time on these. I did something very similar a week ago and even though I brought them up to temp at 200 they were still a little tough and I think some more time would have made all the difference but I rushed it and paid the price in tenderness.

Comment

Huskee, your science is spot on. I will probably bring them up to the sweet spot and then hold them there for an hour or two. I will cook until probe tender. I am trying to decide between this, and a rotisserie roast beef this weekend... awe heck, ill probably end up doing both! Beef as backup, if the swineturns out good, I will chill the beef and use my deli slicer to almost chip it and make sammich meat for the kids to take to school and be the envy of all their classmates...yeah, we are THOSE parents.

Comment

Good choice!

Comment

Not to hijack this post, but I was searching the Pit for info on country style "ribs". I was wondering if any of you have learned any "key" pointers in addition to any of the above good advice. Reason being...our small town has a winter festival this upcoming weekend, starts with a street party on Friday night, and then the local school opens up for a day of fun and games on Saturday. However, they have a small, unofficial BBQ contest starting 8am Sat morning. This year they said it was a "ribfest", by being the former army ranger I am, I sought more detailed, mission critical information to form a better plan. Luckily I did, because I got a message yesterday that it will actually be 3 pounds of boneless, country style ribs. A big difference from my initial inquiry as to if it was baby backs or spare ribs. So, any input or suggestions would be helpful in developing my operation order before this contest. The meat handout is at 8am, and we need to have them done by noon and turned into the judges. Just so you know, this is central PA, not a BBQ hotspot. Hell, most people call sloppy joe hamburger "BBQ" around here. So, this is not like a typical "serious" contest with trained judges. SO, I'm thinking I'll try to follow the KISS method ( keep it simple, stupid!). I was going to try using my new KJ Junior and use one of my weber 22 kettles with a two zone indirect ( I don't have a SnS for my 22 kettle)

Comment

Salt the meat and apply MMD. Smoke over hickory at 225° for 30-45 minutes. Toss into an aluminum pan with about a cupAnd a half of KC Style sauce found on this site, 2oz of whisky, and 4 oz of cola. Quarter two onions and put on top. Cover with foil, and cook at about 350 for an hour and half. if you want them more tender recover and cook longer, if not remove, place on grates and let the sauce glaze.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This sounds like a darn good plan. But a BBQ competition where they hand you a faux section of "ribs" and give you 4 hours max to make the best BBQ sounds... kind of... well, not like my cup of tea. lol Guessing there will be some "interesting" entries. lol

• KevinG
                    KevinG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yes, this is a very small town, local kinda thing. Not very serious. Its something fun to do I guess. I think I'll get on the planning committee next year to try and provide some legitimate ideas for real BBQ. Its a fundraiser, so, I try to participate.

So, texastweeter, dumb question: how did things turn out? As planned? Your post was fascinating.
                  Last edited by FireMan; January 25, 2018, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The first try came out kind of dry, I am adjusting the recipe and waiting to try again. it has a lot of promise.

I think, as was said, that foil wrapping is the trick. It imparts a braising effect that breaks down the connective tissues faster than low and slow. Not that I'm opposed to low and slow, just seems in competitions I've seen foiling or foil pans are always utilized to cheat the clock. When I have time I do what others have suggested above, bring them up to 200ish and probe for tenderness, then sauce and sear. Going to do exactly that with some pork butt steaks this weekend.

Comment

My only comment to the OP is to try and slice across the grain before smoking to help with tenderness.

Comment

yes, this sounds like a plan. I like the idea a lot, a smoke/braising should get me where I want in less than 4 hours. I think, it would be a solid entry. It's a very "amateur" competition with maybe one or two local professional BBQ food truck guys participating along with the backyard guys ....mostly a mid winter small town "event" to get the community together. It's not anything serious. It raises money for the kids summer program...which my kids do participate in. So, trying to be a stand up community member. People can come by your "tent" and they put a donation in your bucket and get a taste.

Comment

Good luck on the competition. Looks like a pretty solid plan given the time constraints. Keep us informed on the outcome. A cool idea for a fun fundraiser for the town and for something fun to do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here