Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC break-in with ribs (mustard slathering part 2)--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC break-in with ribs (mustard slathering part 2)--

Ok - PBC (finally) came in late Saturday afternoon - so I immediatley ran to Publix and got their last 2 St. Louis rib racks.

I removed the membranes and added MMD (with salt added) to one and Huskee's Rib Rub to the other.

The shorter rack is MMD, the longer one is HRR. I slathered both sides with yellow ballpark mustard and added more rub for good measure.

I then wrapped them in foodservice wrap and stuck them in the fridge overnight for appx 15 hours (a la CurlySueQ).

PBC RAN LIKE A CHAMP!! I followed Noah's instructions and it hovered about 295-310 for 7 hours (ribs only took 3 hours).

For the first time using this cooker it was a great experience - everything went perfectly and at 3 hours flat these two racks were done.

I did not baste w/ BBQ sauce and re-hang in the PBC to glaze as Noah does in the instructional video, I just pulled and served them.

Conclusion: The wife and I liked the sweetness of the HRR just a bit more than the MMD; but in fairness most of our guests couldn't tell much difference. The mustard slather with rub turned into a nice crisp crust on both. No one used any BBQ sauce - just ate them nekkid. The meat pulled right off the bone the way it should have. I think next time I will skip the mustard slather and just use the 2 rib rubs. I would say that one is not better than the other, just different. MMD has a bit more of a savory taste and the HRR is definitely more sweet.

On butts I will definitely be using the HRR with the mustard slather 'marinade'; on ribs I think more exprimentation is in order.

Winner of the rib rub competion: Me and my dinner guests.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12-1-2014 6-18-00 AM.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	36137

Name:	12-1-2014 6-18-27 AM.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	36138

Name:	12-1-2014 6-18-44 AM.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	36139

Wow, HC, congrats on such a great first cook on the PBC. It's the first of many, to be sure!

Those ribs look delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to restrain my male tendency to adjust before establishing a baseline - I knew (after reading many of yours, Jerods, smarkleys and Ernest's posts) that a full basket of coals for just 2 racks of ribs was WAY too much; but I followed Noah's direction here anyway since it was my break-in.

Even though it was way too much charcoal, next time when I have a longer cook I'll be more confident knowing just how long a full basket will get me.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thinking, HC. I almost always use a full basket of coals and when one meat is done (say, a bunch of ribs or meatloaf), I throw on a couple of chickens since there are a million ways to used smoked chicken meat. I use the full basket up pretty much that way. Plus, for what we pay for Kingsford Original on sale it's not like it's breaking the bank to let some coals burn away. That's my take on it anyway.

Kathryn

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      You got it. This one is a keeper - the potato basket thingy like on the other post is making the gears turn in my head. Possibilities, possibilities. Homemade chipoltes anyone?

That's a high quality post HC. Thanks for all the detailed info. Nice cook too!

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	93
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	36153

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazing ribs and its peeps made it all possible. I someone had tried to sell me a PBC, or sell me on the idea that I could make great ribs, I would have laughed them out of the room. All of the knowledge, tips and feedback on the PBC made me want to give it a shot and it was well worth it.

I don't think I'll give up the ECB - it takes longer and is more of a PIA, but I have gotten pretty consistent with it. The PBC fits that nice little gap between a super-long cook of a true smoker and a quick cook of a gasser.

More to come on the MMD vs HRR.....

Looks great! I wrap mine just like that for the dry brine, and only put the rub on just before hanging. Glad to see the temps worked for you right away, some of us had a little frustration at the start getting our PBC dialed in.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have started freaking out on the temps being so high if I hadn't read all of the feedback here on PBCs. That sucker came right up to 310 when I dumped the chimney on it and hovered right around 300 all day long on the same basket of coals! I wouldn't have beleived it unless I saw it. Great cooker!!!

1. Nothing to put together - ready to go right out of the box.
      2. Incredible customer support / instructional videos from the company.
      3. Works exactly as promised with no water pan to fool with and easy clean-up.
      4. Made in the USA by a veteran.
      5. Under $300 including shipping and handling.

Win win win win win!!!!

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the single basket of coals. I had a BBQ guy at thanksgiving where I did most of the cooking and he came out to watch how the PBC works when I put on a brisket.

"Guess you can't run to the store with us for an hour or so huh?" - Sure.
      "When do you put in more coals?" - Next time I want to make food...
      "So are we having it for lunch tomorrow or something?" - No, it will be done in time for dinner.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely a charcoal cooker you can set your watch by. I didn't think such an animal existed.....until now!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here