Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first truly big cook - 12 Pork Butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first truly big cook - 12 Pork Butts

This is the first time I have maxed out the space in my two big smokers (Traeger Texas and Traeger Select). 12 boneless pork shoulders from Costco to be made into pulled pork for my younger brother's wedding (he requested it specifically). Dry brined with kosher salt for 24 hours, then applied a little olive oil and a lot of Memphis dust. Put the butts in at 2pm at 225 degrees, and despite the quantity, they started getting done earlier than I expected. The first 3 came off at 2:30am, followed by 4 more at 4:00, 2 more at 5:00, 2 at 5:30, and the straggler came off at around 6:30. Because of sleep deprivation and the fact that they came off so far apart, I don't have any "after" pics. Sorry!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Raw Butts.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	359820Click image for larger version

Name:	Traegers loaded.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	359821

Good luck brother. I hope it turns out great.
    Oh just wondering. You didn't pat those butts dry with the clorox wipes did you?

Comment

Man - that's a whole lot of butts.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Love the case for your Fireboard! Your brother is worth the lack of sleep! Have fun.

Comment

Most of us can only hope to attempt something like this. Congrats and hope it turned out great!

Comment

That's quite a cook, dave_trimble . Congrats for attempting it and congrats again for pulling it off! I bet that pulled pork was the hit of the wedding feast.

Kathryn

Comment

Nice job! I've got 8 bone in butts going in next weekend for my cousins birthday party. Looks like a lot of fun with 12!! I would love to see the graph from the Fireboard on that cook!

Comment

Congrats, looks like ya' did great!!!!
                  Hope all enjoyed th' porky goodness!

Comment

Sounds like fun. More reasons to have many cookers. Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
                      Good luck brother. I hope it turns out great.
                      Oh just wondering. You didn't pat those butts dry with the clorox wipes did you?
                      lol, I should have done a better job of de-cluttering the island in the kitchen. Doesn't make for the best picture, does it?

Comment

dave_trimble, To Hell with the Island what Everyone wants to Know is Did the Bride Dance with You at the ReceptionΓ’Ββ€œ
                        Prima Facia Evidence of Your BBQ'g Skills! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ πŸ€—πŸ˜‡πŸ€—
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• dave_trimble
                          dave_trimble commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'll never tell.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here