Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way to Hold Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Hold Ribs

What is the best way to hold St Louis Ribs for 2.5 hours. Gonna need to keep 4 racks that I'll be cooking on my PBC warm while I cook 4 large chicken halves on the PBC and then serve everything together.

Thanks

My first thought was to use both hands 'cause holding them for 2.5 hours would be very tiring, but I don't think that's what you meant.

I would wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil being careful to not tear the foil on the bones. Two layers of foil might be better. Then you can either put them in a cooler with lots of towels to help hold the heat, or put them in your oven set at it's minimum temp, (around 170* depending on the make), but at least 150*.

Some here will fill the cooler with hot water before putting the ribs in. The idea is that filling with hot water and then draining just before putting the ribs in will help maintain the temp.

Comment

• FlaBouy
      FlaBouy commented
      Editing a comment
      "My first thought was to use both hands 'cause holding them for 2.5 hours would be very tiring.." Like minds. Actually mine was simpler.... with your hands. Carry on.

Your chicken should only take just over an hour, crank that PBC up! What I'd do is place them in a lasagna pan and foil tent it, hold them in a warm oven. Or even pull the ribs off an hour or so early, then finish them unwrapped in your oven while the chickens cook.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That first is what I did a couple of days ago. Just fine!

I will wrap or put in foil covered foil pans and put in oven as RonB has mentioned. I need to cut ribs in half to fit the pan but I sometimes do this on the PBC because they hang to close to the fire. My family like "fall off the bone" so I add a little apple juice and or apple cider vineger before putting in oven. Works great!

Comment

in my belly. you won't be getting them back

Comment

You could also throw the chicken in with the ribs and then crank up the heat to crisp up the skin after you take the ribs off. That would cut down on the holding time.

Comment

Wrap them in foil and put them in an aluminum disposable pan. I put a thick towel in the bottom of a cooler, put the aluminum pan next and two thick beach towels on top. As long as they are good and hot when you wrap they will be hot when you eat. I don't even bother with pre-heating with hot water.

Comment

I did some ribs on New Year's Eve in Montana one year where we were leaving to go spend the night at a cabin. Wrapped in foil, and a few towels and an appropriately sized cooler for the size of the contents, they were almost too hot to touch 4 hours later when we arrived and were ready for dinner. A great way to end the year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here