Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP Suckling Pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP Suckling Pig

I've located a local source for suckling pig and should be able to get one in 4-6 weeks. It'll cost $90 "on the trotters" for one that'll be 20-25 pounds dressed. The seller is looking at how much he'll need to charge me for having it slaughtered and butchered. If the cost isn't too bad, I'll pay to have it butchered first. If I'm looking at, say $100 or more, I'd like to try and slaughter and butcher it myself. Now, I've only cleaned game birds and fish, so...I'm assuming this might be a bigger task than I picture. F'rinstance, removing the hair.

So, the question is, can I probably do it myself well enough or should I pay whatever the guy charges? Any hints or recommendations on how-to.

Add on question: I watched a video on how to slaughter. It showed the guy poking the knife straight into the throat and wiggling it around--while the pig did its share of wiggling. Seems to me that a "cross-cut" would be much more effective and quicker. Is the jugular so deep that it isn't practical/feasible to cut across?
    Last edited by Willy; August 5, 2017, 07:20 PM.

Removing the hair is the worst thing. Lotta hot water and lotta knife scraping. That is the main reason more folks don't slaughter their own hogs. We just skin the wild ones, DEFINITELY not trying to get all the hair off one of them wild things.

Gutting out is nothing.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      True Dat, Jerod!!!

Are you going to cook it whole or break it down (breaking it down is better, and beware, TRUE suckling pigs, milk fed, taste weird...) I discuss sucklings in the sidebar here http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...g_picking.html

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy maybe Meathead can edit "weird" to "slightly different"

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard LOL again. Thankfully, I am most definitely not a "super taster", so "slightly different" will hopefully escape my second rate taste buds.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy
      Jus' drown it in KC Masterpiece LOL!!!!
      >>>Kiddin', of course!!!

Hair can be clipped off if you have access to a clippers. Can also fine tune hair removal with a propane torch like "grandma singeing chickens"... Problem is, true suckling pig does not taste like pork. Even factory raised 250# hogs barely taste like pork these days (the other white meat ). Suckling pig tastes like what they've been eating or what you flavor them with. If you're expecting pork flavor, what you will get tastes weird! No other way to put it.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Does "weird" taste good????? I mean, this is a bucket list thing...maybe...

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      To me, jus' weird.
      No bucket.
      YMMV

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a bad taste per se, but as Meathead said, a true sucking pig does not taste much like "pork". Whatever spices/rub you use will likely be the predominant flavor. Like comparing milk fed veal to mature grass fed beef. Apples & oranges!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawaiians_roasting_pig_for_luau_c._1890.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	357761
    Hawaiians roasting pig for luau, circa 1890

Comment

I raise hogs, slaughtering and butchering them myself. Hogs get shot with a .22 mag, suckling/feeders get whacked with a hand sledge, grasp a back leg and swing for the cross of the imaginary 'x'. Stick the pig in the centre of the throat in line with the base of the skull. Insert the knife straight in and poke around the spine until you hit the carotid/jugular. Blood will gush, draining from the knife stick and mouth. Cross cutting will not only make for poor presentation, but the meat about the jowls will be soaked in blood. Have a vat of water heated to 65C (150F) with enough room for the water and the pig. I use a standard 55 gallon drum with a jet burner to heat it. Hang from the tendons and dip the pig keeping it swirling for five minutes. Pull it out and begin scraping as quickly as you can. Hog scrapers work best, but you can scraping with your fingers, picture a cat clawing at a post. The skin literally peels off, but as it cools it gets more difficult. Don't worry on any stubborn hairs, you can shave them off or burn them with a hand propane torch later. Here's a video to watch:

The second episode in an instructional series from Farmrun and Farmstead Meatsmith in which we explore the economics of eating animals. http://olafurarnalds.com/…

Unfortunately most of this video is not pertaining to what you want to accomplish, however there are key scenes that will help you see how to stick, scald, and eviscerate. You will have to bear with the making of blood sausage, head cheese, and a story using pen and ink drawings. Sorry, I'm too lazy to watch and record key times, so grab yourself your favourite beverage and muddle through.

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
        Jimmie Rhoden commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree 100% I didn't read your comments till after I posted mine but what you have said is highly recommended

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Stay tuned, gentlemen. As soon as I can I'm slaughtering a hog and will take pictures through the entire process.

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        @CompfortlyNumb, Your Description is Basically Spot On to the Way it Was Done on The Farm when I was Young! I believe the V Bench may be Still be Sitting by the Barn❓ The Scalding Barrel Leaned against the Bench @ 45*-60 * Cup Type Hog Scrapers!
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Where I live a hog slaughter will cost $50 to $65. This is for a full sized butcher hog. None will scald, too much work. They skin them. If you can find a facility with a scalder that will do it you may be in luck, but they are big, expensive machines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	csdm_bm20s_scalder_dehairer_ultra1200.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	357837

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        The first time I saw one of those in action I was about 10 years old and thought the hog was still alive.

When I was growing up we had hog killings every year anywhere between four and five hogs at the time that weighed anywhere between 300 lb to 500 lb. I have never done a suckling pig but I think it's something that you can do it's not that hard. My advice is to continue watching the videos and make sure that when you do this the outside temperature is not so hot that it causes the meat to spoil.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed. This time of year in North America you want to start at first light and get that pig in a cooler ASAP. I prefer to slaughter in late fall or winter as around where I live outside is like being inside a cooler!

I think your information is great there's probably a lot of things I can learn from you since you have so much information to share with us wow I'm impressed

Comment

ComfortablyNumb, Jimmie Rhoden, Mr. Bones, Jerod Broussard, I will be Going to The Farm Later this Month, I will take Some Pic's of the Scraping Bench, and an Old Hog Scraper! For Your Additional Info a Single Tree from a Horse Drawn Evener (Hitch) was Hooked between the Tendon and the Leg Bone(Hock) and the Hog Could be Lifted! Head Down in and out of the Barrel onto the Table first By Hand, Scraped, then Lifted with the Farmhand Loader and Gutted, Split and Hung to Cool! Generally Butchering was Done in Late Fall (Deer Hunting Season), Christmas Time and Possibly again in the Spring! Willie, HorseDoctor, gcdmd, @Meathead
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 6, 2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

You rang?!?!?
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Piglet Hold.jpg Views:	1 Size:	575.0 KB ID:	358175​ Sadly I offer no advise. I can do the suckling pig deal. One of the few things I won't cook.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Why Hell Spinaker the Shoat can't Weigh 15 Lbs❓ It'll Dress Away 1/3 leaving 10 lbs, then it Will Cut Away another 1/3 leaving +- 5# - 7# of Meat❓ Hardly worth Lighting the Smoker! You still Need to Buy an Apple❓
            Have Fun! 🤗😇🤗 🐖🐷🐖

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            cuter than anything! Too bad they taste so damn good!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I know. Huge dilemma. smokinfatties

$7.50 a pound from D'Artagnan is beginning to sound like a good deal...

Comment

Give the folks at http://www.wgprovisions.com/roasting-pigs a call and see what they can do for you.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              HorseDoctor, Thanks for the Link, Doc! It Would Be Fun to Try One on a Home Built Pit and Rottiserie Some Time❓ Trussed Pigs and Wild Hairs❓🐖🐖🐷🐖🐖

Willy how'd your suckling pig turn out? I'm going to make one for Thanksgiving (it'll be my second one) and I'm gearing up and thinking about how i'm going to tackle it.

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              My source fell through, so it hasn't happened...yet.

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Willy Bummer.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here