Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like big butts and I cannot lie: mustard slathering results--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like big butts and I cannot lie: mustard slathering results--

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-29-2014 5-51-49 AM.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	35671 Click image for larger version

Name:	11-29-2014 5-51-05 AM.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	35670 Click image for larger version

Name:	11-29-2014 5-52-26 AM.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	35669

Here are the results of a butt I smoked yesterday using the mustard slathering method on my ECB (FedEx was delayed by the winter storms in the Midwest, so no PBC yet. I have been watching the PBC instructional videos though, and on one they do slather their butt with mustard).

1. I used CurlySueQ's idea for wrapping after slathering and covering with Huskee's Rib Rub (salt included). I kind of leaned out the process by putting the butt, mustard and rub into a large 2 gallon Ziploc bag. I massaged the meat until it was thoroughly and evenly covered in the pasty mixture. I put in the fridge to "marinate" in the mustard letting the vinegar and dry brine go to work.

2. Cooked for almost 8 hours on the ECB maintaining a 225-250 temp. Only had one dip below 200 when I added more charcoal. The charcoal beats the crap out of lump for longevity and consistency on these long cooks. Internal temp was 170 when pulled off.

3. Removed from smoker and wrapped in foil and put in convection oven on 250 for about 1.5 hours until at 195-200 internal temp. Let sit for about 15 mins after coming out of oven and pulled for sammiches.

Conclusion: This was the best butt I have done hands down. Not sure if it was the slathering, the rub or a combination.
    I'll will try the same slathering method using MMD next to compare, but Huskee's rib rub is jam-up for sure. The sugary bark was like candy. Can't wait to try Huskee's rib rub on ribs as well. I may do a rack slathered and one with oil to see, but at this point I am leaning toward the mustard, ONLY if it has time to marinade and let the vinegar penetrate the meat some.
    Last edited by HC in SC; December 1, 2014, 08:16 AM.

[Applause!] Glad to hear you liked the rub, and I think I'll have to try the mustard method next time. How long did you let the concoction marinate in the fridge before smoking?

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Only about 5-6 hours. The plan was to do 24 hours, but I slept (literally) on Thanksgiving Day and all of the supermarkets closed by 4 pm, so I had to hit Publix when they opened yesterday am. As you can see, I didn't skimp on the mustard or the rub. Can't wait for sammiches during the Clemson - Carolina game today!

Did you notice a mustard flavor at all? When I'd done it in the past I went sparingly- just enough to give the rub something to bite onto- and never noticed any flavor, but i didn't marinade it either.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      In a weird way, yes - but not like straight mustard. I probably could have just mixed the mustard and rub together in a thick paste the consistency of honey, maybe just a bit thinner. I think the bigger impact was had by wrapping (or Ziploc bagging with all ait removed) and allowing the favors to combine and let the salty vinegar penetrate. I used apple wood as usual with pork, so there was no smoke variable. Just the thick mustard slather and bagging and your rub including the full salt amount. Although my heat source was more reliable and I had a faster cook, I don't think that impacted the flavor. Can't wait to expiriment with it again. In my experience with marinating with vinegar, the longer the better - I was very impressed by just the 5-6 hour refrigerated marinade / dry brine. Well, technically wet brine with all of the mustard I suppose. Thumbs up to you and CandySueQ for the ideas.

Thanks for trying this HC! I can't wait to try it now... ribs will be next for me. I am betting it is really good.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      The PBC came in yesterday and I've got mustard slathered ribs wrapped in the icebox. One rack with Huskee's Rib Rub and one with MMD. I will try the PBC beef rub next, but this rib showdown has been peaking my curiosity - especially after CurlySueQs wrapping tip.

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Heh heh... I have 4 beef ribs all slathered with mustard and chilling for a day or two... it will be interesting.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome - let us know how they turned out!

Won't see too many temp issues due to adding coals with the PBC...or much 225 for that matter!

I've done the mustard slather many times, I never seem to notice much difference, but I haven't tried Huskee's rub yet, so I'll give it a try.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think it would make much difference if you just slathered and put on the cooker immedialtely; but covering and wrapping does make a difference. Maybe no so much in taste, but definitely in the tenderness.

Interesting technique! I never thought of the mustard as a marinade, just as a cheap way to keep my rub attached to my meat. I usually throw it on 15 - 30 minutes before I start cooking...

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      The principle seems sound though - I always use vinegar heavy marinades for tougher pieces of meat because the vinegar will start breaking down the meat. The wrapping / bagging is key here since it keeps alot of the moisture in and the mustard / rib rub doesnt just dry out as a crust on the surface. Give it a shot - everyone loved the pulled pork - most didn't add any sauce; I put a few drips of SC Gold on mine, but that is all it needed. The taste of the pork came shining thru!

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip...must try this next time I make a butt!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here