Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large pork shoulder bone in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large pork shoulder bone in

I have a 17-18 pound pork shoulder I am going to smoke for my daughter's 18th birthday party. Two questions.
    1. Should I cut it into pieces for easier cook?
    2. How much time am I looking at?

Cooking indirect charcoal method with water pan

That large? I'd cut in half. Time depends on your cooker and how hot you run it. Cut in half, at 250, I'd guess 12-16 hours.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!

To answer your question, to the best of my ability with the given information:

1. Yes! I'm a huge proponent of hacking large butts into 3, 4, or 5lb pieces. You get more surface area for salt/rub, smoke, and bark development which goes a long way to improve the overall flavor of the end product, in my opinion.

2. That's a loaded question. First, let us know what cooker you're using, and what temp you're cooking at, and if that's an actual grate-level temp as reported by a digital thermometer probe or if it's a lid/door thermometer on your smoker/grill (which can be wildly inaccurate, not in your favor).

2b. If you have an actual cooking temp of 225-250 where the meat sits, and you're cooking ~5lb butts, well spaced apart from each other to allow good hot air circulation, then are you wrapping in foil (crutching)?

2c. If you are crutching at or after "the stall", then I'd say allow a good 10-12hrs. Probably 10 or so to cook them up to ~200deg, then another 2 hrs to hold them in a faux cambro.

2d. If you don't plan to wrap them at all, you could be anywhere in the 12,14,18, 20hr range, it's very hard to estimate that. I'd suggest if not wrapping them, take them to around 195IT and then check for "probe tender" that point where they're soft enough for a temp probe to slip in easily and could be shredded. They usually don't need to go all the way to 200+ when unwrapped due to the time it takes to get that far.

Comment

You may have 2 8-9 lb pork shoulders in 1 cryovac

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Good call.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree! A 17# to 18# shoulder would come from a humongous hog. Unless you have an entire front shoulder (butt & picnic portions). If that is the case for sure cut it into workable size pieces. Most likely you have 2 butts in a cryobag. Can still cut them in half & have 4 pieces if you want.

Welcome jj16127

Comment

As smokinfatties said, I bet you have two butts in that cryo-vac. If possible, I would remove the bone and cut each piece in half. You will get more bark that way, and the bone can lead to uneven cooking. I always remove it, if I get one with the bone.

Comment

Because of the weight I think you have a Boston Butt (upper shoulder) and a picnic (front leg) connected together. If you can separate them I think that would be a good idea, since they they are different even though they cook similarly. I typically cook 10# Boston Butts for 12 hours at 225 and less frequently the Picnic for a little less. The Picnic has a much larger bone and runs the length of the meat while the Boston Butt has a much smaller and looks a little like a 7 on the exposed end. I hope that helps. With a photo or two I think I could tell if you have a Boston Butt only or a Butt and Picnic still connected. I have no experience separating them.

Comment

It appears I have two 9 lb pork butts bone in cryovac correct

Comment

Going to cook on Weber kettle surface temp 225-250 hopefully

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1501716132286344256904.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	356120

Comment

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    that's two butts in 1 cryovac. a lot of folks like to take the bone out but i dont mind cooking mine bone in

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    jj16127 I can see what you have now - two Boston Butts. I've done two at a time on my BGE At 225. You might figure on 14 hours. I leave the bone in and don't cut them. They should feed 35.

• scottranda
                    scottranda commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep. That's two butts in one package. Enjoy it! You can still split each one in half. More bark!

if you're cooking on a kettle you may be hard presssed to cook them both unless you have a 26" kettle. I dont think i could fit 2 on my 22 with sns

Comment

Sounds like th' perfect opportunity to tell SWMBO that y'all need another smoker!
                    Yer Daughter only turns 18 once, an' ya' want this to be Perfect!!!!
                    Jus' sayin'...

Comment

Makes sense. I would say at least allow 14-16 hours, including Cambro time. The last one I did I did in halves. It was incredible with the extra bark!

Comment

This may be sacrilege, but with limited smoker space, getting them started one at a time in the smoker and then finishing up in your indoor oven would be an alternative. I had to resort to this for a large group not long ago, and it worked out fine, with many compliments.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                          HorseDoctor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Been there, done that. Get your bark, wrap them up and put them in the oven at 250 +/- and start the next batch. Once they are wrapped, it matters naught where the heat comes from.

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Inside oven is a (potential) ally in any cook, as I see it, an' definitely not sacrilege...
                          Once sumpin' is sufficiently smoked, an' especially wrapped, it jus' needs more time, 'n heat...
                          If yer cooker(s) are overtasked, then right into th' oven it goes...
                          I do this alla th' time, when needed.

Thanks for all the advice

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here