Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Butt on My Backwoods Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston Butt on My Backwoods Smoker

I'm retired but doing consulting projects for several companies, and I work out of my house. Yesterday afternoon one of my clients rescheduled a conference call that was scheduled for 9:00 this morning, and another switched our lunch from today to Friday. So I decided to smoke a pork butt. I went to the Publix supermarket and bought a 5 1/2 pound Boston Butt, dry brined it last night, and got it on the smoker at 9:00 AM. The only seasoning on it was salt, I did not use a rub. Cooking temperature was 250. At 12:30 the internal temperature was 167, so I wrapped it in foil and continued cooking it. Since I want sliced and not pulled pork, I took it up when the internal temperature was 180, at 2:00. It is outstanding. Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Backwoods Smoking 009.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	355631Click image for larger version

Name:	Backwoods Smoking II 005.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	355632Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork Butt 006.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	355633

Looks great! What time is dinner?

Comment

RAmorris, Dang RA that Looks Fit Too Eat! 👍👍👍👍👍
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Suh-Weet!!!
        Nice job!!!

Comment

Looks mighty fine!

Comment

That does look great.

Comment

Retirement (even semi-retirement) is great, at least partly because it allows you the freedom to spend a day keeping track of a cook even if it's not a weekend! Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

I like the minimalist cook. "Nothing but salt." How do you like that sliced shoulder? Isn't it a bit tough?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We ate it growing up all the time. It's like ham. Takes some tuggin' and chewin' is all. I never heard of pulled pork until a few years ago, when I cooked it.
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 2, 2017, 01:42 AM.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thats kinda what I figured. A little tuggin' and chewin' ain't all that bad, sometimes.
                  Jerod Broussard

• RAmorris
                  RAmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It isn't tough at all, just not falling apart.

Sure looks good! Did you rest it in a Cambro after pulling it off the cooker?

Comment

The pork looks great! What brand/model cabinet smoker is that?

Comment

Nice cooking setup, RAmorris! I especially like your water accessibility.

Comment

Looks awesome! I have a question....I have a Backwoods Extended Party and I cannot keep the temperature from spiking. I'm using Kingsford Original and both vents are completely closed and it is running up into the 260s but I have no idea why. How do you keep your temp fixed (what kind of charcoal do you use, wood, how old is the wood, etc)? Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here