Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 9lb trimmed pork butt, 225 DigiQ, How Many Hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 9lb trimmed pork butt, 225 DigiQ, How Many Hours?

I'm looking for the meat to be ready to put in a cooler around 1:30 - 2 PM tomorrow, to transport and eat around 4:30 or 5 PM tomorrow.

My gut is telling me 17 hours to start, so put it on at 8:30 PM tonight.

Your opinions are very welcomed.

This depends if you're wrapping (crutching) or not, and if so, at what point. If you're not wrapping I'd say you're in a good ballpark with 17hrs.

Comment

Approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º: 2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º: 1 hour per pound

350º: 30-45 mins per pound

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds.

For your cook you have two nine pounders, not a 9 pounder. Use timing for 9 pounds

Comment

• Flat Rocker
        Flat Rocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for listing these ball-park times. I think you're right on from what I've seen so far, but I've only done 5-6 butts..
        Do you have anything similar for brisket or do you think it pretty much follows the times you posted?

Really I have the time if a prepare, I trimmed and salted yesterday, so just on me to start the fire and set everything up. I'm wondering if I should start a little earlier, as I need to leave the house by 2:15 to go to the party.

Comment

ALWAYS error on the side of more time! If it is done two hours early that just gives more time in the faux cambro for the magic to happen. An early start takes all of the stress away. I start my 2x9lb butts 18hours before I want to eat on my 22"/SnS/DnG/Party-Q rig at 225F.

Comment

so if I start at 7:30, that's 18 hours till 1:30 with additional cambro time until 4:30/5

Comment

• Sephon
            Sephon commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds about perfect to me.

Some pics, more in the morning
          Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking good! I always enjoy seeing another copper kettle.

guycalleddave, You have got this One Nailed IMHOP! 👍👍👍👍👍 Other than Yours being Copper and Mine being Green our Weber Set Ups are very similarly! Are You Using Water in Your S 'n S❓
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	457.9 KB ID:	353737Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	483.0 KB ID:	353736Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	353739Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	353738
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_43356.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	353740
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	353743Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	992.5 KB ID:	353741 y Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1,006.7 KB ID:	353742
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; July 29, 2017, 05:09 AM.

Comment

So we're at 9 am and the thermometer is reading 187.... So Im going to turn it down to like 150, and kind of Cambro in the cooler but in a grill? I'm near the finish line about 5 hours early.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I do, usually about 170 for me though.

Here are pics from about 14 hours into it.
            Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking happy!

Looking good so far but I wouldn't drop the temp just yet. A second stall is not an unheard of situation. Just push on through until 195 or better and wrap them up. You're in good shape, don't blow it now! Enjoy!

Comment

Those are looking great, wish I was going to that party with you. Keep going then when they are done double wrap in foil then several towels and put them in a cooler, they should stay hot for several hours. One tip throw your towels in the dryer on high to get them good and warm before you wrap them around the meat. Your party goers are going to freak when you unwrap those at the party! Let us know how it goes.

Comment

So all in all not a bad cook, however the bark on a lot of the meat ended up almost list jerky, with most of it being not edible?

I'm new to this so I've never had that happen before. Was it just the extended time in the smoker that did it?

Comment

• vandy
                  vandy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had that same thing happen on a butt yesterday, I think it is just the fact that it was in the smoker for 17 hours that caused the bark to dry out and basically turn into jerky.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here