Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

liquid from cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

liquid from cooking

I have cooked a few boston butts and picnic hams recently. I noticed a lot of juice collected in the aluminum foil basket at the charcoal grate level.
    Since the recommendation is to add liquid such as apple juice when vacuum sealing I was wondering why I haven't seen a recommendation to use that liquid in the vacuum bag. Perhaps get a fat separator to pour it from.
    Can anyone give me insight if this is a good or bad idea?

That's what I do and have recommended it more than once. Well not vacuum seal but when freezing. I don't have a vacuum sealer.

Comment

Karon Adams has some good ideas on how to crank up the flavor and use the drippings.

Comment

I have moved pork butt into foil pans after 4-5 hours in the smoker- cover loosely with foil and finished cooking. After cooling, refrigerated overnight, and sliced while meat is cold. The fat will lift of of the gelled drippings. I add this gel to meat to reheat or store in sealed bags.

Comment

my method, and I believe the BEST way, us to put it in a saucier or a wide topped pot of some type and coke it between a simmer and a boil until ALL the water is gone. at that point you are beginning the Maillard the reaction. the sugars, in most meats called Ribose and the surrounding meat proteins change form, creating taste and smell compounds you simply cannot achieve without the increase the. that is why ALL the water must be, first driven out. very important. the longer you can let it go, the better it will be. you'll begin noticing `as the water is gone, the color of what's left will darken. in chicken, it goes from golden yellow to the red/orange/brown of the MOST yummy Chicken. now, it seems like its a lot of work for very little. but, in fact, it is amazingly terrific. for, a little can go a lang way. if you scrape to the side and have the mass together, or you have half a jar only jar it up for future use. if you have a decent amount, anything from a tablespoon to a cupful, you can, simply put it in a jar and save it for the next sauce or to have the sauce to be used for other reasons.

this process is far better done without other additions until this part is over. no reason to add anything else to the, now, once it is n\done, this stands, IMHO, the Mother Sauce of BBQ sauces.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Listen to what the Mistress has to say!

Originally posted by Nate View Post
          That's what I do and have recommended it more than once. Well not vacuum seal but when freezing. I don't have a vacuum sealer.
          I got a 30 dollar one from walmart and tried it last weekend on 2 boston butts. Just checked tonight and all bags are still sealed.
          Heated one bag in a pan of water for dinner and ya it smelled and tasted great.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies. I'll be doing this soon!

Comment

Smoked 4 3lb baby backs today and collected all the drippings. They are in the freezer now waiting for my next pulled pork smoke then I should have enough to do something with. So excited to try this out!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here