Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babies and Mayo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babies and Mayo

Always working on perfecting my ribs, I turn out a pretty good product ... and Meathead's been a great resource, and I really really recommend his book. THAT said, and I don't know why, I've often used mayonnaise on chicken but not on anything else ... it's rubbed on thin, then the chicken is sprinkled with rub. It does a great job at browning up and crisping the chicken in my hot-n-fast Weber Kettle.

But one thing that I have NOT tried yet (but will this weekend) is using mayo, or even a mayo/mustard blend, on baby backs in my Weber Smokey Mountain. Everyone seems to use a thin coating of mustard to help the rub stick (me too), but I wonder about mayo? Anyone out there tried mayo on some low-n-slow baby backs? Did it impact your smoke ring in any particular way? If I were to hazard a guess, I'd guess that I'd get a better and darker bark, and due to the oil content, probably less of a smoke ring. I expect that since the meat's in the smoker for such a long time, that maybe the bark would be too much? Dunno.... Anyone?

As an aside, I follow meathead's instructions for rubs, but put the ribs on a pan in the deep freeze (-20 F) as soon as I light up a can of charcoal. When the cooker's ready, I take the meat out and let a bit of condensate form before putting it into the smoker. I find that this does enhance the smoke ring. Hard to say what mayo might do to this process?

Thanks in advance!
    Brian
    Attached Files

From this post title I expected to see a very funny video!

I've never used mayo on ribs. But I do the freezer thing quite often, as well as put my ribs on while the smoker's heating up, and even keep it low the first half hour, at say 170-200.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      DITTO! Especially my ribs.

From the title of the post, I thought you were smoking babies slathered with mayo!

Comment

I put my meat on immediately before dumping the hot coals.

That way the wood under the hot coals is getting maximum oxygen while the indirect side gets to temp, and I don't have to worry about introducing a big cold chunk of meat to the equation once the indirect side has made temp.

Comment

In my world mayo is a food group.I was ready to defend the child against all enimeies foreign and domestic for loving Mayo.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You took the oath...👍

I posted here a while back about mayo on STL ribs. It's fantastic!!
        You'll get a darker color. Taste has a certain "Je nes sais quoi"
        I didn't see any change in smoke ring formation. Not sure if the vinegar has anything to do with it but mayo rubbed ribs cook slightly faster.
        Last edited by Ernest; July 27, 2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
          I posted here a while back about mayo on STL ribs. It's fantastic!!
          You'll get a darker color. Taste has a certain "Je nes sais quoi"
          I didn't see any change in smoke ring formation. Not sure if the vinegar has anything to do with it but mayo rubbed ribs cook slightly faster.
          The darker color is fine (like my picture above). No discernible change in smoke ring is good too. I'm thinking ... go for it! We've got 16 people coming over on August 6th and part of the meal will be 6 racks of baby backs ... But I'll cook 2 racks this weekend as an experiment, a mustard-only and a mayo-only rack side by side, same grill level. I'll report back after I do it ... which will either be Sunday or Monday (I work four 10s, T-F, and have 3-day weekend every weekend...)

Brian

Comment

It brought back memories of the mayo knife!

Comment

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sorry, were you talking to me?

think about the components of condiments. this is one reason I really don't like recipes that start with 1 Cup ketchup...... Don't think of it as mayonnaise. think of it in terms of its component parts. it oil & egg using a touch of lemon juice, salt and a tiny bit of mustard powder to encourage emulsification. beyond that, it's air. that's why its white.

so, when you think about whether you want it on your ribs or not, decide whether those are flavors you want. you have egg, fat and a little protein, depending on how much white you keep, salt and mustard are smallish amounts. you probably won't taste them. then there's oil. now, here's where you can think of flavor. mayo usually uses some mild or unflavored oil. instead, use some saved oil from you last BBQ cook, or bacon grease, or Olive oil. that is, IF you want to have them carry flavor for you. I don't think it would help in creating a 'smoke ring' which is caused by the preservative parts of the smoke seeping into the meat. kind of like the curing salt makes bacon pink. simply because the oil in mayonaise would create a moisture barier with the oil That one of the reasons the order of toppings on a burger is important. always put the mayo on the bread, itself to keep the bread from getting soggy while you eat.

Hope this helps.Just an idea on why you might or might not use it as a part of your smoke.

Comment

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              Well Said Karon

I put nothing on my damp ribs to glue the Rub on. The moisture from the water will do the trick.👍

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with Breadhead here. I dry brine the ribs, and then use the rib water pulled out to make the rub stick. As for mayo... that's all you. I like it about as much as babies, and I have none of them, either.

Let's hear it for Miracle Whip!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              You Californians...

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HorseDoctor

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              When the Y was in campaign mode, there were a few ground rules. Charmin, NOT the John Wayne stuff stolen from various work sites. BUTTER, not that emulsified grease, margarine stuff, Kraft Singles, not the generic block of whttheheck cheese, and Miracle Whip, NOT Mayo form y WHITE BREAD sammiches.

OK, folks ... the jury is back and the verdict in!

1. There was NO significant difference between the mustard v. mayo ribs - not in appearance, not in smoke ring, not in texture, not in taste experience.

2. The mayo version browned quicker than the mustard version, but by the end of the cook, the mustard one caught up and they were identical.

Perhaps if wrapping your ribs in a 3-2-1 type cook, using mayo may help brown the ribs sooner ... wrapping inhibits bark creation and browning, so maybe there's a small advantage here?

My technique:

1. Coat one with mustard, one with mayo

2. Identical rub on both - 40 minutes in the deep freeze before cooking (condensation enhancement)

3. Smoked with a blend of hickory and cherry during the cook - a bit on the heavy side like I prefer

4. Meat side down, thick side towards the outside, for 1-1/2 hours at 250 F

5. Spritz with vinegar/water/rub spice mix, flip, spritz again. I always cook ribs with the thicker meat towards the outside of the cooker

6. Spritz every 1-1/2 hours

7. Total cook time, no wrapping, temp constant at 250 F, was 5 hours

Brian

Attached Files

Comment

• Lowjiber
              Lowjiber commented
              Editing a comment
              Great post. Thanks for the comparison and pictures.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess you used the right amounts, so the ribs just shined on through!

Thanks for the experiment.

Comment

I have never tried the mayo but I have tried the mustard and just water but I prefer a little extra virgin olive oil to stick the rub to the meat. To me it gives the meat a better texture but that could be just me because I have never done a side by side comparison.

Comment

Thanks, and they do look gooood!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here