Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Louis Cut Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St. Louis Cut Again.

The Saint Louis Cut Ribs wins out again. I do love those ribs!

That said, I was wondering what you guys thought about what appears to be "extra meat" on the backside of the ribs? I left it on, but now I'm thinking it might have been a wasted effort. It overlaid part of the silver skin, so I was not able to remove it all. It actually covered about 40% of the silver skin. I may have just answered my own question, as it was not particularly easy to eat.
    But. . . It sure looked good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	slr01.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	352279

This was after 6 hours of cooking at about 230*. I think I could have let it go another hour. Maybe that should read "should have." Here is what my wife started on:

Name:	slr02.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	352280
    And this is the plate I started with:

Name:	slr-3.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	352281

Oh yes, I did add the Drip 'n Griddle for this cook and the difference it made was amazing. It really does stabilize the air flow, making temperature control MUCH easier! Couldn't recall if I mentioned that after my Bacon cook or not. But I can now confirm that it does make a huge difference.

And one other note, I've been using one of those little tables, one from BBQ Dragon called the "Dragon Wing." It hooks over the lip of the kettle. It is perfect for me, as I set it up next to, and sometimes under, a lawn canopy where I now have a heavy duty cast aluminum table and set of chairs. It like it as it gives me a place to put my temp transmitter and to hang a couple of tools. I have noticed that during a long, slow burn that there's something of an air leak where the thing hooks to the kettle. I'm not really sure it is even worth worrying about, but being just a little OCD, it's starting to bug me. So I just ordered a gasket kit from BBQgaskets.com. I think I can fix that air leak, probably by laying the gasket material around the rim, except where the table device attaches. If that doesn't work, I can then try covering the rest of the rim with the gasket material. I'm pretty sure the two probe cables will cut their own little grove in the gasket material and should not represent a problem.

In any event, I did a site search and found that several people were also wondering how using the Dragon Wing would affect any air leakage, and they indicated they'd "get back" with the information. But that didn't happen for one reason or another. I will post my results, be it a "win, loose, or draw."

Mike S.

Nice lookin' ribs.

Comment

Ribs never get old!

Comment

The "extra meat" on the backside of the ribs is what would be a skirt steak if it was beef. Decent flavor but can be a little chewy. Some trim it for appearance (Franklin) and some leave it. I tend to trim it and cook it along with the cartilage ends if I'm trimming spares into true St. Louis cut ribs. If I'm doing untrimmed spares, I'll leave it. Dealer's choice.

Comment

Thanks for the comments! HorseDoctor, that just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank YOU!

Mike S.

Comment

Trimming the ribs is one of the things that my wife and I always argue about - reminder, she doesn't cook them. If I am cooking for just the family, I simply remove the silver skin and might just even things out a bit. She would prefer that I treat all ribs that way due to the mess I make in the kitchen doing it the following way: If I am cooking for a party, I cut along the back, remove any "extra meat" and lay the ribs on top of each other in the prep process to check for uniformity. I cook all of the trimmings with the ribs and typically finish them off in the smoker in a dutch oven with a mixture of garlic, peppers and onions. I go through the end product and remove any bones/cartilage. That all gets grilled or fried in some lard and goes into a tortilla.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds great! Personally, I don't entertain much, so I tend to just get out what I can of the silver skin and leave the "flap" on.

Beautiful!

Comment

So what we've learned here, is that tbob4 argues with his wife about ribs & EdF is not an entertainer, oh, & he leaves the flap down. Also HouseHomey likes old ribs. As the PitWorld turns.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                So what kind of more profound insights were you expecting?

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothin much, just what it is.

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh we do argue!

I trim that strip off, season it with rub, and cook it with the ribs. I believe MH says that's the cook's treat, and that's usually my attitude as well.

Comment

I'm with HorseDoctor on this one. Dealers choice....

Comment

My bolognese has improved markedly since I started adding all the trimmings from my ribs (and that includes beef ribs)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here