Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon!!!

Another "1st" post for me! Bacon!

This was almost a comedy of errors. I guess I should have explained things to the butcher with a little more detail. My only defense was I didn't actually tell him anything. . . I try not to actually go to the store, as I can usually talk my wife into doing that. (I know. That's no excuse!)

The skin was left on. Mistake #1. I should have had it removed (but saved!) and then insisted on the thickness being an inch and a half. Measured after the skin had been removed. The other dimensions were still good. So what I was left with was a pork belly that was really too thin for making bacon. But I figured I could make up for the lack of thickness by folding it in half. Easy Peasy!

But that was mistake #2. I really should have made a cut where I made the fold. You guessed it. The darned thing unfolded some time during the cook. So now I'm left with a skinny slab of bacon. But at least I got to make it, and that's a *good* thing!

Next time, I'll get it right! At least I'm left with a "failure" I can eat!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bacon01.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	350996

Mike S.

I'd eat that! Never yet made bacon. Have to find someone that will sell me belly!

Comment

• swong13
      swong13 commented
      Editing a comment
      My Costco this week had WHOLE pork bellies. Didn't buy one since I am doing baby back ribs and prime tri-tip this weekend. I have also noticed pork bellies in the Asian grocery stores around here.

Love bacon!

Comment

I pretty much always leave the skin on, then skim it off with a boning/fileting knife after taking it off the fire and it's cooled down a little. Seems to work out well.

Comment

Looks like a good batch to me

Comment

One of my favorite things to do, and so simple too.

Comment

EdF, I'll give that some thought. But I'm not so sure Meathead would approve, as it would act like some kind of barrier (like a skin?) to the Pink Pickling salt. I'll call that my "Plan B" however.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              My opinion (and Michael Ruhlman's) is that for warm smoking and then keeping refrigerated/ frozen afterward, the pink salt #1 is more for cosmetic reasons than preservation. Moves the flavor and color into the range people expect. I've got some in the cabinet, but have never used it.

Not worried about the cure reaching the meat with skin on. Plenty of time for that. What bothers me is the smoke (and perhaps some maple syrup basting) not reaching one side of the bacon during the cook. Love it when I can find pork belly that is already skinned!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here