Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Pulled Pork! (And a little bit bigger, too.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Pulled Pork! (And a little bit bigger, too.)

Did it again! Only this time, we went a little bit bigger. My wife decided if more was better, then she couldn't go wrong with a 9 3/4 lb pork butt. It took me a while to figure out just how to do it, but once I got started, it got a lot easier. This was the first time I had to decide between cooking it whole, or cutting it in half and go for more bark and hopefully, a little less cooking time. And I went with the later.

I think I did the right thing, but you decided for yourself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pp01.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	350950

Halfway there:

Name:	pp02.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	350951

And finally this:

Name:	pp03.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	350952

I think tradition holds that I use an aluminum foil pan to "pull" the pork, but in a moment of panic, I grabbed the biggest thing I could find and that turned out to be a turkey serving platter. But I think it is safe to call this one a successful cook, as my wife and I got a good meal out of it, and froze 4, one pound bags for the future, plus a smaller bag for a quick snack.

Now then, that was actually yesterdays cook, and I'm moving on to my next trick! And that would be BACON!
    And I can say that with a certain amount of confidence, as it it almost DONE! Just a few more minutes and it will be time to take it off the grill and give it a taste!!

Mike S.

Barkalicious!!!!
    Nice job, cain't wait to see yer bacon!!!

Comment

Looks amazing.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Looks good! I rountinely do 10#ers without cutting. They take 12 hours plus at 225.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Wow! That looks great! Great job.

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

LA Pork Butt, yes, I think I'll make that my "go to" size to cook. But I'll prob'ly continue with the practice of cutting it in half, just for the increase surface area to cover with bark. And I do like how that shortens the cook time as well.

Mike S.

Comment

Absolutely wonderful!

Comment

Ive got a 4.5lb butt in the fridge with some kosher salt on it. Planning on using Meathead's Memphis Rub on it and smoking in my Masterbuilt Electric using my Amaze-n-Pellet Tray with hickory. Last one I did came out OK but I thought it needed something. What temp and how long can I expect it to go before hitting 203? Should I wrap and rest like I do my briskets?

Comment

SlushDeezey, the last half-butt I did:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2294.PNG Views:	1 Size:	136.0 KB ID:	351085
                      Took it out just shy of 11 hours and left in a warming oven wrapped for an hour (total of 12-hours).
                      Last edited by kmhfive; July 22, 2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
                        DWCowles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        For being a pellet cooker looks like temp chart would have been more straighter instead of bouncing up and down all the way across the chart.

• kmhfive
                        kmhfive commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I probably opened it a few too many times (and I cooked some country ribs at the beginning). I also adjusted the temperature up after the stall. Still getting to know the GMG JB. It's a big cooker. There are some things like whether I need one water pan, two small pans, just a drip pan, etc...

You might want to get another opinion on that. I did not want to "wrap that rascal" and it took all of about 8 or maybe 9 hours to get to "magic" numbers. To tell the truth, I really need to start writing stuff down.

EDIT: for Slush Deezey

Mike S.

Comment

Not planning on wrapping it during the cook. I want to wrap in peach paper once it comes off. 12 hours seems like a long time for 4.5 lbs of pork.

Comment

Looks yummy!!

Comment

Boy, does that look good! Well done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here