Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you hate it when you run out of pulled pork...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't you hate it when you run out of pulled pork...

...and then you have to make some more? man, smelling this cooking is torture!

2 butts, combined total of just shy of 21 lbs. trimmed to 9lbs 10oz and 8lbs 8oz

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170714_153115[1].jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	349362

i used a different rub this time so no MMD. i liked it quite a bit. the cumin was a nice add.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot952017-07-16-21-51-25[1].png Views:	1 Size:	291.6 KB ID:	349367

dry brine on friday, rub on saturday, wake up at 5am sunday to smoke. used hickory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_42761.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	349363

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_212154[1].jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	349364

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_212404[1].jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	349365

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_213906[1].jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	349366

the big one was on top so it got done first at 15hours 40 minutes. beautiful and juicy. i added some more rub to the finished product. the smaller one came out second at 17 hours 40 minutes. i got impatient and tired (after pulling these i still had to clean my grates and probes). the half with the bone was tender but not like buttah, the other half was. i said good enough and pulled it. it was a bit drier. i think i know what happened. at the end of this cook i stopped monitoring the water pan. when i ran out of water the humidity of the cooker went way down. i believe this triggered a stall as the meat sweat could finally escape in the less humid environment. i think that was also what made it dry. i was stalled for a while around 188 with this butt and think that was the issue. i need to remember to keep the water going! either way it was awesome. the first one was very juicy, the second not juicy enough. if i combine them it will all even out.

weird how i don't see this post even if i go to the pork forum...

after i did a reply now it does. weird

Comment

Look great!

Comment

Man! Now I want to cook a Boston Butt, and it is not in this week's plan. Bummer.

Comment

I'd eat that right now.

Comment

I hate running out of pulled pork almost as much as I hate running out of Brisket.

Comment

Great looking butts!!!

Comment

Oh man, great!

Comment

That looks great.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I'll see DW's "Beautiful" ... and raise you an "Awesome!" ...

Comment

Amazing job! Yep, I'm going to have to go another 10-days without smoking anything. Gonna hate that!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here