Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170708_175137.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	344935Click image for larger version

Name:	20170708_220041.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	344937 12 hrs meat hit 201 temp Click image for larger version

Name:	20170708_092407.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	344936 8.6 b boston butt,dry brine about 12 hrs. used meatheads Memphis dust for the first time and wow is that stuff freakin amazing! thank meathead!

Dust is fantastic! Looking good.

Comment

sorry about the pics. not in order.
      I smoked on weber 22 kettle w/ sns filled with water and a mix of hickory and oak about 6 chunks, the top pic. is about 5 hrs. into the cook.
      this meat pulled perfectly and tasted great, but I could use some advice on keeping my temp. consistent. I felt I had to keep adjusting the vents about every hour maybe even more often at some points. I was able to keep it between 225 and 270, is there a method to getting it locked in so you don't have to mess with the vents. my lid seals great so no air leaks, I lit about 10 coals then filled the sns up with unlit coals and wood chunks, maybe when the wood gets hot its changing the pit temp??? I just worry about doing a brisket if I cant keep really consistent temp, also I would like not to have to monitor so closely, thanks all!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, th' wood ignitin'/burnin' will cause temp spikes. All normal, part of th' cook.
        Don't drive yerself too danged crazy, playin' with th' vents. It availeth one, not...
        Let things take their Natural Course, unless temps get "Way Outta Hand!!!"

Looks good to me too.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Mr. Bones has the answer. Your wood chunks were spiking the temperature. I will only add two fist-sized chunks to my low-n-slow cooks based on the idea that the meat won't collect much more smoke once it's IT gets up about 130F.

That said, big hunks like pork shoulder, Chuckie, and Brisket will weather the temporary spikes just fine. If you're staying mostly in the 225-250F range, a few spikes up to 290F or so won't hurt at all. Let her ride as long as it's coming back down after a little while.

Comment

I'm doing my first Pulled Pork Butt as we speak. I'm on a gasser - Weber 310. I'm easily getting 30 degree swings without touching it. Hot day with no wind. I'm surprised how much variation in temp there is. I've got an 8 lb with Memphis Dust on as well. I hope it turns out as well as yours.

Comment

• marshall
              marshall commented
              Editing a comment
              I to got 30 degree swings but was able to keep it between 225 and 265 for the majority of the cook , if you read some of the comments up above you should be fine, just get that meat up to around 200 degrees before you pull it off and it should be delicious! Let us know how it turns out

I just thought about something. I wasn't planning to flip the meat. Do you guys flip it when 1/2 done or just leave it one side up through whole cook?

Comment

I cooked mine indirect at low temp, I didn't move the meat or flip it.....

Comment

More rub! That is a big hunk of meat. Dont be afraid to pile on anything that will stick.

Comment

• marshall
                  marshall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  good to know thanks, I assume more rub will give more of that delicious bark?

Looks Great!

Comment

I've experienced my first stall.....I'm over 7 hours in on an 8lb butt. Meat internal is at 184 degrees. Based on the graph of my iGrill, it looks like the stall happened from 170 to 180. Its 3:48 here now. Think I"ll be at 203 degrees in 2 hours???

Comment

• marshall
                    marshall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    if your worried you can Texas crutch to power through to the 200 degree mark, that's what I did last night, worked out well

I never got the feel for "probe tender". Anything over 165 is safe to eat. I am going for the faster cooks. I thought "I cooked it for 16 hours" was a badge of honor. I am starting to like the wood fired 6 hour cooks more every time I do it That little 8 #er should have been done by now.

Comment

203 degrees by 5:30. Perfect. Evertone loved it.

Comment

• marshall
                      marshall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      glad to hear it! that rub is awesome isn't it?

Good news! Pictures of the results?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here