Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here Goes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here Goes...

Here goes... my first ever pork brisket and probably the first ever in "The Pit," but I couldn't resist $1.37 a pound. Pics follow. Unless it turns out exceptional it will probably be my last. I didn't expect a pork brisket to look exactly like a beef brisket, but as the pic shows there is no resemblence except in the vac pac. There was little fat and as the pic shows it is in five pieces. I originally thought I would cook it like a beef brisket or Boston Butt, but the pieces look more like ribs than any of the afore mentioned. I have dry brined it and plan to use Memphis Dust. I think I will cook it like ribs. I'll post more pics as things process. Right now I'll take any words of wisdom before I put it on tomorrow morning.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0561.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	341860Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0562.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	341862Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0564.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	341861

It's a great experiment! I think the plan works.

Comment

We got those here in town. Been waiting for someone to experiment.

Comment

No wisdom but here's some encouragement. Good luck on a great cook LA Pork Butt !

Comment

Looks real interesting!

Comment

Lookin' forward to the results.

Comment

I too think I'd do them like ribs, look forward to your review!

Comment

I wish we had that! That's what I'm talking about! Is that a circular type piece on the end/screen left.

May please suggest a portion with only salt and or pepper.

yes more pics please.

Comment

kmhfive, @Jerrod Broussard, Mudkat, EdF, Robb, Huskee, HouseHomey They are on @ 225 with hickory. There are two similar pairs, so I plan to wrap one of each at the 3hr mark for comparison purposes. The more I think about this brisket the more they seem to be riblets.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0565.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.22 MB ID:	342186Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0566.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	342185Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0567.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	342184
                  Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 4, 2017, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Looking good so far! Keep us posted. What IT are you shooting for?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                      LA Pork Butt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am going for probe tender instead of internal temperature.

Very interesting. I can't tell, are they boneless?
                    They do resemble ribs though. Keep us posted.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                      LA Pork Butt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They have bones like riblets.

kmhfiveJerod Broussard, Mudkat, EdF, Robb, Huskee, HouseHomey, Steve B Well, here's the verdict with pics below. This thing defies anything I have cooked before. I can best describe the meat as having parts that are like loin Country Ribs, the tougher part of a Boston Butt or Shoulder Picnic and maybe a little Baby Back. And, there were lots of bones. But, the flavor matched none of them. I would say the flavor was nothing to write home about. I wouldn't cook them again or recommend them unless they were very, very cheap, free or you just wanted a challenge. I would like to see them as the surprise element on one of those Pitmaster competitions. That would be interesting. I wrapped the smallest peice with a little liquid and wrapped the medium and large peice without liquid. I cooked a large and medium piece without wrapping for 8 hours and 15 minutes. I could tell little difference besides firmer bark and more fat rendered. Jerod, since they are available in your area do you want to take the Pitmaster challenge?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	342502
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0575.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	342503Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	342504Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	342505Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	342506

Comment

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That looks like something I would eat.

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the report! Sorry for the disappointment!

Yeah, I'll get one. My take on them from what I see in the store here is the opposite of beef brisket. The point is actually the lower shoulder from the leaner, drier picnic and the flat would be more fatty cause it is from part of the belly.
                    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 4, 2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

They look pretty good but from your description I don't think I would try these.
                        Thanks for the post.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here