Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon wrapped items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon wrapped items

So, I would really like some hard fast rules when it comes to cooking/smoking any bacon wrapped item, such as bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, bacon wrapped meatballs, bacon wrapped fatties, etc. I know that the whole item is done when the internal temp reaches the desired temp, but what about the bacon? I recently cooked a bacon wrapped buffalo chicken fatty. My grill was going at 275 for two hours. The internal temp of the chicken was 175ish, so definitely done. But the bacon was not crispy. Now, I have done other items such as the bacon wrapped poppers or the bacon wrapped meatballs and put them in the smoker at 225 for 3 hours and it seemed the bacon was done. Should I have gone for longer and slower with the chicken fatty? Is there a preferred temp and time for making sure that the bacon is done properly? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	E605A09B-6510-4C68-BEE2-7D896EA3F8D9-268-0000001E4E604A41.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	341097

Comment

• Dusty
      Dusty commented
      Editing a comment
      Crispy without over cooking.

Dusty's idea will work, but I have partially cooked the bacon before wrapping to make sure it would crisp.

Comment

In the microwave RonB?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        You can do it in the microwave, but watch it very carefully as it will cook fast in the MW. I cook it on a tray in the oven at 350* so I can catch it at just the right moment. That moment for me is when it just starts to brown slightly.

• IrondeQuer
        IrondeQuer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ron!

For regular bacon recommend parcooking the bacon. An easier way is to use center cut bacon which has less fat and crisps up nice and quick.

Comment

Parcook your bacon . I only cook mine in the oven at 350 on a sheet pan with parchment.
        Only wrap once.
        the thicker the bacon the longer the cook
        a moist chamber will take longer to crisp
        meatier bacon (center cut) with less fat will crisp faster
        thinner bacon
        turn up the heat if you can
        if your close to done put the bacon closer to the fire and or direct heat too.

and... cook 16 pieces of thick cut smoked bacon in the oven. Eat 12 of them and wrap something with 4

I hope this helps. You should post some bacon pics for no reason at all.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	_storage_emulated_0_Download_1205150852.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	341231Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	341230Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0125.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	341232Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	341233 Bacon pics just for fun
          Attached Files

Comment

Mission Accomplished!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here