Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Try With Pork Butt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Try With Pork Butt.

Well, this is another "1st" for me. I just sat down and devoured my first ever pulled pork sandwich! I mean, I've eaten other pulled pork sandwiches, but those were cooked by someone else. This one was a rather small, 3 1/2 or 4lb roast, but I didn't want to spend all day cooking. For me, it was just the right size. My wife and I should get two, maybe three meals out of this. OK, more like two. . .

I know why we all come here, and that's to look at this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pk01.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	334377

And it broke down into this:

Name:	pk02.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	334379

Put it all together and it's dinner!

Name:	pk03.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	334381

Those beans were added near the end of the cook, to a pan sitting underneath the roast, to catch the drippings.
    All in all, it was a good day! I just love it when a plan comes together. . . Got to work on those colors, it just ain't quite right.

Mike S.
    Attached Files

Now then, could someone please explain why the duplication of those pics?!?

Mike S.

Comment

Nice work Mike! That meteorite looks exactly like it should.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Nice cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike S. View Post
            Now then, could someone please explain why the duplication of those pics?!?

Mike S.
            For some reason vBulletin occasionally shows the attached files as really large thumbnails at the end of the post...making it look like they've duplicated. I think that's the best way to explain it. Most BBQ pictures just need to be looked at twice must be what it thinks

Comment

Pulled pork baby. It doesn't get any better than that.
              The lighting Of those pics might not be what you wanted but man oh man that plated samie looks delicious. Nice job.

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

(Mike S.) welcome to the Pit...πŸ‘

Your cook went well. Nice bark! Now that you've got your pork butt hebie jebie's behind you, let's get real.

A 4 pound pork butt??? It's you AND your wife.πŸ€” I live alone and when I smoke pork butts I usually smoke the 2 pack we all buy at Costco that weighs about 16 pounds. I usually cut both butts in half so I have 4 pieces of meat to smoke, and I get more bark, more flavor.

Why smoke 4 pounds when you can smoke 16 pounds for about the same cost in charcoal/wood and time? Plus... pork shoulder/pork butts is cheap, cheap, cheap, meat!

When i cook 16 pounds of pork butt... I eat a little bit and then I portion the leftovers into 1 pound quantities. I put that 1 pound portion into plastic Sous Vide vacuum packed bags and put it in the freezer.

When I want to make pulled pork sandwiches, tacos, enchiladas, spaghetti sauce, or anything else I can dream up, I put it in my SV hot tube to bring it back to the right temperature to eat... if I need to, or I just thaw it. If you reheat it in the SV hot tub it tastes like it did when you first pulled it.😜

So... if you get my drift, 4lbs or 16lbs is the same effort, cost, and the meat is dirt cheap. For me... 1 cook lasts for a long time and it's always fresh.πŸ€—

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
                    6th Borough BBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do nearly the same thing except I simply vacuum seal the portions and boil them in the bag for 15 minutes when I'm ready for them. Works great and super simple.

Beautiful bark. Great sandwich. Enjoy good food!

Comment

I really appreciate all the nice comments! But Breadhead, your reasoning was most excellent. I will remember that the very next time cook up some more pork! Thank you very much!

Mike S.

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We're all here to help my friend...πŸ‘

There is nothing that warms the heart on a snowy winter day like the frozen bag of pulled pork that you made last fall and had kinda forgotten about.

Comment

Great job, Mike ... congrats!!

Comment

Nice looking bark and juicy! Great job.

I am a bit in Breadhead camp. I have a KBQ - 4 racks. It just my wife and I (and the seasonal visit by kids). If we get the feeling for some ribs and/or chicken - I load up. Usually 4 full racks and a few 1/2 chickens. Eat 3/4 of 1 rack and 1/2 chicken that evening - and portion and freeze in vacuum sealed bags for the freezer.

Nice goto when friends drop buy, give aways and as BBQRapper said so well, nothing like homesmoked BBQ on a cold winter night!

Comment

Very nice cook and great pictures, Mike!

I did two eight pounders last week, which is way too much for two people. Vacuum sealing and freezing is the only way to go for left-overs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here