Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First try at Pulled Pork from Puerto Rico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First try at Pulled Pork from Puerto Rico

Greetings to all fellow smokers and grill jockeys alike. This Saturday I will be smoking a ...hmmm.....ahh.....Boston Butt(silly minds). I will post pictures during the cook, well in intervals. I really hope it comes out good and not a Armageddon meteorite. Family and close friends will be attending, since it's a fathers day party. Some will be cooking burgers and other types of food.
    I was specifically called to cook some smoke pork. I just don't want to fall on my face.

So now, what i have done in preparation.

I removed a lot of fat and tissue from the butt(not my butt, silly).
    I dry brine the meat with Kosher salt, for 24 hrs.
    Once 24hrs passed, i applied MMD rub. That will sit in fridge over night. BTW my fridge internal temp is 34 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tonight i will set alarm clock for 6am , Kettle with the SnS will be running by 7am. 6 pounds of butt i thinks 8 and 12 hrs?

Wish me luck.

If you're wrapping them at/after the stall I'd give it a good 12hrs minimum, including a couple hours of faux cambro time to soften. If you don't plan to wrap I'd give it 16hrs+. Always better to start earlier than you planned to, you can always hold them for a couple hours until dinner time vs waiting a couple hrs to eat because they're taking too long. Personally I wrap after the stall, at about 170-180 IT, and it takes typically 12hrs total (10 on heat, 2 f.c.).

Otherwise your plan sounds great!

Comment

Huskee thanks, i will do so.

Comment

I agree with Huskee. Gonna need at least 12-hrs for the cook and a couple for a rest in a warming oven or cambro.

You could cut in two to get more bark, but it would only save about an hour on the cooking time. Wrap once you've got the bark you want.

Good of luck and have fun!

Comment

Blaedes you may wanna set your alarm a little earlier say.... 4. Just saying.

Comment

Good Morning Amazing Ribs and Happy Fathers Day. It's go time.
            HouseHomey no way to get up at 4am, went to bed around 2am.
            cyas later and thanks for the advice, will keep ya posted.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Blaedes How ya doing buddy? What's the internal temperature of your coffee right now?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here