Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall off the bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall off the bone

Hi Everyone. I am doing my second trial run today on BBR. Last weeks first trial run was pretty good for the first run just a tad undercooked at 5 hours & 225.
    I plan on about a six hour cook this time and I more fully understand the doneness tests so I'm feel ing a bit more confident.
    My problem is my Dad who is suffering from a neurological disease and has a bit of a difficult time chewing needs his ribs falling off the bone.
    So how do I get my ribs to that point without compromising flavor and juiciness?
    Cooking two sets today first set is coming off at bend/toothpick test doneness.
    Brined and using Memphis rub.

I'd probably foil a rack up for him during the last hour while leaving all of the rest go as normal. Seal the foil up tight and they will be mighty tender and about as close as you can get to fall off the bone at that point.

Comment

Maybe leave a rack on a little longer and then cut it up for him?

or, in the name of medicine (no hate mail please) you may want to just steam a half rack and the grill it. I know, I know but I would rather he have ribs then not at all. Not knowing his condition...... can he tell the difference between a good rack and a bad rack? If he can I would cook it normal and perhaps cut it for him. It really depends on the varioables.

I really hope some of the Rib Pros in the pit can weigh in as I think most of us don't cook ribs "to fall off the bone."

Comment

Originally posted by UncleFester View Post
        I'd probably foil a rack up for him during the last hour while leaving all of the rest go as normal. Seal the foil up tight and they will be mighty tender and about as close as you can get to fall off the bone at that point.
        Should I add apple juice or some liquid as in the Texas crutch?

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          UNK , I usually crutch and add about a Tbls of apples juice to it. +1 to what UncleFester said!

• UncleFester
          UncleFester commented
          Editing a comment
          A dash of apple juice, as richinlbrg said, would be just fine. However, if the foil is sealed up tight, there will be plenty of moisture getting trapped in there as it steams up, so either way would be okay.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey UNK , do two. One each way and see if you can tell a difference.

I love side by side comparisons!

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
        Maybe leave a rack on a little longer and then cut it up for him?

or, in the name of medicine (no hate mail please) you may want to just steam a half rack and the grill it. I know, I know but I would rather he have ribs then not at all. Not knowing his condition...... can he tell the difference between a good rack and a bad rack? If he can I would cook it normal and perhaps cut it for him. It really depends on the varioables.

I really hope some of the Rib Pros in the pit can weigh in as I think most of us don't cook ribs "to fall off the bone."
        He still is pretty good at taste just couldn't get past the slightly undercooked rack last weekend. Chewed chewed and chewed then finally spit them out. He said the flavor was great.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking just do them normal like and he'll be fine. If he gnawed on the undercooked ones then he ought be fine with your next magic. Also you can crutch it for steam too

If you watch them just let them go longer... you should get there with minimal impact to juiciness and taste. I've had plenty of fall off the bone ribs that tasted just fine.

Comment

I would wrap his in foil once the exterior gets where you want it. Just keep it wrapped until you take them all off. No need to add any liquid.

Comment

In addition to th' other methods listed, above, here's what I would do...(worth mebbe 2¢)
            Cook alla th' ribs to desired pull, then take Dad's, place on a broiler pan, with about 1/2"-3/4" water in th' pan.
            Tent loosely (not touchin th' ribs) with aluminium foil, place on middle oven rack @ ~225-250-ish, monitor fer tenderness.
            Bark should be intact, but softened...
            Whichever way ya' do it, Good Luck, an' hope yer Da' enjoys!!!

Comment

Definitely cutting for him. I'm just worried that leaving on the Weber Kettle with SnS and an Auber controller past the rib/toothpick test will make them too dry. I'm at the 2 hour mark right now so I still have some time.

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                As mentioned before... just keep an eye on them... the extra time to get them to the point of fall off the bone shouldn't dry them out.... if go over by an extreme amount of time (hours) then yes but an extra 45 minutes to hour or so should not be an issue.

For everyone responding, you have no idea how much your assistance means to me.

Comment

I've used the bend test for a while now, but I don't pull em when they pass the bend test, that for me is just an indicator that I could pull them (this is around my 5th or 6th hour), but I really need to wait another 45 minutes. I usually go for St Louis cut, but I've never had issues with dry ribs. 45 minutes to an hour after passing the bend test, I find them to be the most tender and very acceptable.

Having said this, I don't like how moist wrapped ribs are. just a matter of preference. But when I did try wrapping I added liquid and they fell apart after I cooked them too long. This was at a Super Bowl. Everyone said they were great, but I didn't like how soft they were. I say wrapping is the way to go for your pops. Super tender, and the bark wont be as firm.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like this approach!

This is a worthy pursuit. I have, in my pursuit of perfection, had "overcooked" ribs that were "falling of the bone" tender and they tasted delicious and moist. I think that wrapping at the end is likely the best way to make sure of success, but if you're checking on them at the right time, I think youlll be fine! Enjoy great food with your Dad!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Nilsen View Post
                  I've used the bend test for a while now, but I don't pull em when they pass the bend test, that for me is just an indicator that I could pull them (this is around my 5th or 6th hour), but I really need to wait another 45 minutes. I usually go for St Louis cut, but I've never had issues with dry ribs. 45 minutes to an hour after passing the bend test, I find them to be the most tender and very acceptable.

Having said this, I don't like how moist wrapped ribs are. just a matter of preference. But when I did try wrapping I added liquid and they fell apart after I cooked them too long. This was at a Super Bowl. Everyone said they were great, but I didn't like how soft they were. I say wrapping is the way to go for your pops. Super tender, and the bark wont be as firm.
                  My first rack didnt have bark. It was my Dads madinade and rub. This time Im using memphis dust but i didn't think about bark being hard. Good point. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I ended up cooking till I got a complete break on the bounce test then I wrapped them really good in foil and left on the grill for another hour. The thin end was by my taste too mushy but he liked them. The thick end of the rib he thought needed more cooking time. So I'm going to serve him the thin end only. Everybody is happy. He liked the flavor of the Memphis Dust.
                    Thanks everyone.

Comment

Great work! Enjoy and post pictures if you can!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here