Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pork roast=pork butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pork roast=pork butts

We purchased a hog at the county fair this summer and had it cut and wrapped. Would the pork roasts be the same as the pork butts you all refer to on here? And would I cook them the same? They weigh approx. 4-5 lbs. Thanks for the help.

Read this article from Meathead.

How do you tell the difference between rib cuts? Learn all the names and characteristics of the different rib cuts and how to cook them.

Comment

Thanks Barry I reread it again to see what I had missed and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that my 3 pork roasts were at one time the pork butt. The butcher whacked the butt into 3 pieces and labeled them roasts. If that's it, next year I will tell them I want a pork butt from half and roasts from other half. Then I can have lots of meat for a crowd or just a nice pork roast for hubby and me. Appreciate the help and info
      Last edited by ontheranch; November 21, 2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

OTR, most "roasts" come from either the butt, blade, or picnic (together they are the front shoulder) or...they come from the loin area. My guess is if your roasts are nice & fatty they are from the butt or shoulder. If they are more lean perhaps loin (rib roast, loin roast, crown roast, etc).

Comment

• ontheranch
          ontheranch commented
          Editing a comment
          yes, I see that now. The amount of info on this site is incredible. And the friendly help from the moderators and members has made me a much better cook not to mention that it's made cooking fun again! At cow camp, I,m a whiz with a wood cook stove but this BBQ stuff has me addicted!! Thanks all

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here