Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crockpot BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crockpot BBQ

Apparently the world wants me to have pulled pork from a crockpot. My work neighbor sent me a email saying she appreciated me helping her with her car. She said I know you like BBQ because your always cooking at work. So she wanted to make the shop some crockpot pulled pork. Then my wife reminds me last minute last night I was supposed to do pulled pork for her office on Wednesday. So I complained for a second about last minute and all, and with a straight face she looked at me and said...Do you just want me to put it in the crockpot? Like I've ever done anything even close to that in the 13 (might not make it to 14) years we been together. Sooo maybe Traeger or Lang need to come out with a crockpot smoker, or Meathead needs to address how to smoke a butt in a crockpot. I have a feeling this is going to become an epidemic. And that's my little ramble for the morning.

IMHO. If there is no smoke, there is no BBQ.

Crock Pot pulled pork is just that, Crock Pot Pulled Pork.

Adding liquid smoke will give it a resemblance of a smoked taste, but in no way is it close to the flavor you get from real smoke. I am not saying Crock Pot Pulled Pork isn't good, I am saying I have trouble calling it "BBQ" without any smoke.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Strongly Agreed, Brother!

I had to do that once in a pinch. For my own birthday party as a matter of fact. Circumstances just wouldn't allow time for smoking the Butt. So early in the morning, (it was dry brined the night before) I rubbed it with MHMD, threw it in the crock pot, added some onions and then some beer. Right before the party started, I was able to make a killer sauce with the cooking liquid. Everyone loved it despite the fact it wasn't smoked.

Comment

I've had some pretty decent crock pot pulled pork too but I have to agree with Spinaker. IMHO it's just not BBQ if there is no smoke. Although beer and onions in a crock pot do sound pretty good.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        It may taste good. I don't argue that. I just can't call it BBQ.

If it ain't cook outside with real fire and wood smoke it ain't BBQ

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Preach brother, Preach!!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        That's how I do mine, yup!!!

Crockpot pulled pork can be phenomenally good. It isn't BBQ by our definition.

Now, my mom put chipped ham in ketchup and called it barbecue. I can't argue with mom. But I don't have to call it barbecue.

Comment

I agree its not BBQ I won't even call it pulled pork. Its just shredded meat. And I do it a lot with red chili shredded beef or pork for tacos and such and you can get some good flavors out of it, and it is just that. But I have lots of friends that will argue that its the same thing. But they never disagree that mine taste better.
        And I only started this to have some fun, not to have it taken to seriously.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, strongly agree it is fun, at least fer me...
          I've had some phenomenal food, outta a crockpot...
          It's jus' not what I do...

May I put my two cents in,"............................LIVE FIRE! = SMOKIN, GRILLIN! That's the facts Jack!

Comment

I just served up some crock pot pulled pork. I started it last night on the smoker at 8:00pm. Thank goodness my big cabinet smoker held temps with logs until 2am. I had to do a little tending for 1/2 an hour and got it back to 225. It went until 7 this morning when I wrapped it. I pulled it at 11:00 and let it rest for an hour. Instead of pulling, I chopped large pieces and put it in the crock pot with some homemade sauce, onions, jalapeños, a little vinegar and Doctor Pepper, two dashes of cumin and a palm full of oregano. The chunks pulled like a champ. Served at 2pm. I guess it's cheating a bit because I didn't finish on the smoker but I had company and the smokey flavor came through.

Comment

WHERE'S THE BEEF.
            oh I mean WHERE'S THE BARK???
            You can't have any pudding if you don't have your BARK

Comment

BBQ cooked in a pot?? That's a crock!!

Comment

I do kalua pork in a crockpot a couple times a year. It may not be bbq (and I couldn't care less whether it is or it isn't) but it is damn good. Almost as good as when prepared in a proper imu.

Cooking a pig in a roasting box (e.g. la caja china) may not be bbq'ing either but is damn tasty.

Comment

So, lemme gain some much-needed insight, here...
                  If I smoke it fer hours, then SV it, it's BBQ?
                  But, if I alternately, perhaps even obstinately, directly again' alla Th' Laws o' Nature, smoke th' dogwater outta it,fer 6-8, however many hours, then finish it in my crockpot, it becomes non-BBQ?
                  How 'bout finishin' in my oven, fer' a FC? Or overflow conditions?
                  Sounds like mebbe even a cooler fer FC is outside th' BBQ box. No smoke, no fire, no wood. Oh, Dear!...
                  I have no dog in this fight, jus' wanna see what others' definitions are...
                  It won't change nuthin', hereabouts...

If summat has never seen th' smoker, or fire, than I tend to agree with my Amigos, fellow stickburners, etc., above...ain't BBQ...
                  But I am seein' some gray areas here, jus' thought I'd be th' first one to th' Scene of the Accident, as it were.
                  I reckon I see th' crockpot as a tool, same as a 22.5" Weber, SNS, Stickburner, gasser, pellet pooper, SV device, ad nauseum...
                  I hope that anybody knows me half-arse well unnerstands, I ain't worried 'bout none of this discussion, nor upset by. Perhaps, jus' morbidly curious...
                  Jus' askin' me a question, because, at times, people purty near perplex me...
                  Great folks here, but...
                  People? In General? Bah!!!! Ptuuii!!!
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 13, 2017, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Histrix
                    Histrix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bbqing, grilling, smoking, roasting, sous vide-ing, crock potting, whatever. They all can make good food and that is all that matters to me.

Crock pot pulled pork is good, but it's not BBQ. There may be more than 1 way to skin a cat, but there's only 1 way to smoke a butt.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There it is. Well put.

All of ya'll folks can have all of the crock pot fake BBQ that you can consume. I will stay with mostly real BBQ and some secondary BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here