Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Challenge for this coming weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Challenge for this coming weekend...

I am cooking two 9lb pork shoulders for a coworker this weekend...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	329382

I hope I haven't bitten off more than my weber kettle can chew...this will definitely be my largest cook to date...

You can do it!

Comment

If you have a 22" kettle and a SnS you're good...👍

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have both...

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        You're golden then! Go to ABCBBQ and watch the pork butt video.👍

Should be easy.

Comment

I guess my biggest worry is that they are for someone else...

Comment

They look very nice. Have fun with the process!

Comment

It's hard to mess up a pork butt cook.

Comment

Looks like you have everything you need, have fun.

Comment

Two words: faux cambro. It'll hold for hours so err on the side of finishing early and deliver the cambro at party time. Have fun!

Comment

• clb239
                  clb239 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is one thing I have in my favor...the pork is going to be frozen since the party is actually in a couple of weeks...She bought some cooked shoulders last year and froze the meat and was happy so wants to do the same this year.

You got this!

Comment

Yeah, ya' Got This...
                  Ya' know where to find us, if anymore questions/concerns...

Comment

I did that exact cook Memorial Day weekend, 22"/SnS/DnG/Party-Q/Mav-732 rig, it was a tight fit, but came out great. total cook time was ~18hrs @ 225F.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Schmidt View Post
                      I did that exact cook Memorial Day weekend, 22"/SnS/DnG/Party-Q/Mav-732 rig, it was a tight fit, but came out great. total cook time was ~18hrs @ 225F.
                      Hmmm... 18 hours at 225° on the 22" kettle & SnS. Is that typical time wise? I have a friend that is planning that exact cook on Thursday. He is a newbie at the BBQ game so he's looking for guidance.

I think my friend is going to buy 2 boneless butts, cut them in half and cook 4 pieces of meat. He will wrap them in foil after he gets a good bark at about 180° IT, then cook them to probe softness.

He asked me how long he should plan on for that cook if he stays at 225°. I told him plan on 12 to 14 hours. I've not made that cook in my kettle. I smoke meat in my BGE if it's going to take more than 8 hours.

Does anyone know that cook well enough to have a feel for the normal time required?

Comment

• Gooner-que
                        Gooner-que commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I got 14 hours out of 6.5# of KBB at 225. The stall was LOOOONG. I plan all of my cooks for 18 hours so I was good.

• Breadhead
                        Breadhead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Smart guy for planing your cooks for 18 hours! Knowing your cambro is a valuable asset for long low and slow cooks you never serve food late. 2 to 4 hours in the Cambro is great. It's good for your meat and it take all the pressure off of the Pit Master.🤗

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You California guys!

I don't use my Weber Kettle for most smokes, but my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. At 225 - 240 my last three pork butt cooks have been 20 hours, 22 hours and 18 hours respectively. I always get pork butts about 10 Lbs. and at least 5-6 inches thick, so there's a big part of the time for me, all that thickness to cook through. Don't know if anyone has come up with a formula for hours of cook time per thickness in inches of said chunk of meat. If so, that would be a dandy aid.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here