Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Stall

OK, so I know this topic has come up before. But I've got a 5 lb butt that I put on the big green egg last night at midnight. It's now a little past 4pm. Held it at 225 that whole time. And now it seems stuck at 187 internal temp. I just cranked it to 275. But I feel like this happens more often than not. Am I doing something wrong?

Wow, that's a l o n g time fer a 5# butt...(~15~hrs)
    I guess where I'm gonna start is:
    What are ya' usin' to monitor temps? Where is yer pit probe placed?
    We'll go from there.

Comment

• HermanGerman
      HermanGerman commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got a digital Maverick redi-check in the butt and I use a BBQ guru to hold the dome temp. The pit probe is L-shaped, and I pinch the short side of the L in between the top and bottom of the egg, so the tip of the probe is probably about 4" from the edge or so (and not near the butt)

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Stalls is s stall man. 5lbs 11lbs 22lbs full shoulder.

Weight is not a factor to a stall. It's not a thermometer issue. It's just a time issue.

Wrap it or ride it out. Again how much it weights is not really relevant.

Totally agree with J Rod below

By now you should have enough bark to wrap. I always get another stall in the 180's.

Comment

Hold On - Crisis Averted. I just went up 5 degrees in the last half hour. Looks like I power through. Still curious as to why my shoulders seems to take longer than most.

Comment

A butt takes 16-18 hours. At 187 how was the probe? Man your great at that temp if your going to park it for s bit.

Comment

• HermanGerman
          HermanGerman commented
          Editing a comment
          At 187, the fork turned, but there was a bit of a pull. BUT as an update, after my original post, the second stall broke, and I took it out about an hour later. Put it in the faux cambro and I just pulled it. Looks Incredible! Now just need my kids to get back from soccer so we can dig in!

My pork butt cooks in my LBGE take 14 to 16 hours. I don't cut them in half to speed things up. I never wrap them in a Texas crutch. I never turn the heat up to power through the stall. I never worry about a second stall. I never worry about my cook... because I've planned for EVERY potential problem!!!

I NEVER SERVE MY PORK BUTTS OR BRISKETS LATE!!!

I start ALL of my pork butt and brisket cooks EXACTLY 18 hours prior to my desired serving time. I always cook at 225ยฐ with the aid of my DigiQ Dx2.

If there is just a single stall my meat will be done to probe softness in about 14 hours. If there is a double stall my meat will be probe soft in about 16 hours.

When my meat is probe soft I pull it out of the smoker, BGE, double wrap it with aluminum foil, and put it in the faux cambro. So each cook will get 2 to 4 hours in the cambro. Cambro time adds to the quality of your cook.

I... will never feel stressed out or worry about my guests arriving early. I... will ALWAYS put my meat on the table EXACTLY when I said I would.

That's low and slow at it's finest... and yes! Kamado's are LEGITIMATE smokers. I can put as much smoke flavor on my meat as I want to... light/medium or heavy duty.

i have a LBGE and a 26" Weber kettle with the Slow n Sear. I never smoke Pork Butts or Briskets on the Weber kettle because it requires much more of my attention, more effort. I could do those cooks on my Weber kettle but why would I want to worry about my fire heating up or cooling off while I'm getting my 8 hours of beauty sleep? When I can set up my BGE and forget about it.๐Ÿ˜†

I do short smoke jobs on the Weber kettle and SnS... ribs and chicken plus it's great for the reverse sear.๐Ÿ‘
        Last edited by Breadhead; June 4, 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          My mistake more likely.

• HermanGerman
          HermanGerman commented
          Editing a comment
          LOVE that confidence. AND love that you're not ashamed to utilize the technology of the DigiQ. Consider me officially in the "18 hour club"

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          The 18 hours Club just keeps us confident...

Jon Solberg commented
        June 4th, 2017, 04:44 PM
        Tldr. : )

Dude any chance you can break this down to something we can quickly read and understand? The marketing 15 second rule perhaps. MISSED YOU. Glad your back man. :
        )

Pork Butts & Briskets cooks.

Start the cook 18 hours before you plan to serve it.

Cook at 225ยฐ.

Cook full size PB's and Briskets.

No Texas crutch.

Never turn your temperature up to power through the stall.

Never worry about a stall or a double stall.

Cook to probe tenderness and then double wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in a faux cambro.

Serve it EXACTLY when you said you would...๐Ÿค—

When your wife says when should I have the sides done tell her EXACTLY when you told your friends and family dinner would be served...๐Ÿ‘

It really is easier than most people try to make it...๐Ÿ˜Ž

Last edited by Breadhead; June 4, 2017, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a good recipe.

Always be yourself. Unless you can be Breadhead with DWCowles meat, then be them. Otherwise be yourself.

Comment

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha. Good one!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Always be yourself but listen to what others say... that's EXACTLY how I learned to bake bread and raise kids. You NEVER learn when your lips are moving.๐Ÿ˜–
          Last edited by Breadhead; June 4, 2017, 05:32 PM.

Just when I think you said the stupidest thing ever you keep talking. : )

Comment

I routinely do butts at 250-260F and am quite content with the results, and have never taken that long... Briskets, on the other hand, will take as long as they will take, at the same temps... Somewhere between 14-18 hours. Go figure.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            250ยฐ to 260ยฐ explains the difference... I'm a 225ยฐ guy. Low and slow is different than low and medium.๐Ÿค”

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here