Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for first perfect Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for first perfect Pulled Pork

Team,
    Need some advice. Asked my better half to pick up a Boston Butt for my first attempt. What I received was 2 boneless pork shoulders. The question is one weighs 1.99 lbs and the other 1.68 lbs. I thought this cut was usually 3x's as large. So... will these work, are they too small, etc. What if any special considerations? Any help appreciated...trying to do these this weekend. TIA

Someone decided to cut it up. Just go for it. It'll take a bit less time than it would have otherwise, but should still be great.

Comment

Think of it as an opportunity to gain extra bark in a little less time!

Comment

Yep, go for it.

Comment

Cook it low & slow. Shoulders are much harder to cook and don't do as well as butts... In my humble opinion.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            How are you differentiating shoulders from butts? Shoulders = picnic? I'm confused (as usual). Other than size, they really cook very similar in my hands.

Thanks all.
          Lowjiber... How low? Is 225 still OK. Using a Rectec mini pellet.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            225-250 will work fine. Cook till they are probe tender! More surface = more bark! All good!

• Lowjiber
            Lowjiber commented
            Editing a comment
            checkairspeed, 225-250 is good.

BTW: I love your username. "以高度换取速度" is Chinese for "sacrifice altitude for airspeed".

Thanks Doc!

Comment

Hello all,
            a couple of hours into this and have a question. I set my grill to 225, my Maverick remote reads 10 degrees higher. The questions is, which one do I go by?

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              The difference won't matter for this cook.

Tomorrow, I recommend that you calibrate them both, first in an ice bath and then in boiling water.

rich,
            Ok, Thanks. Ill do some research and determine if the grill and Maverick are calibratible(sp).

Comment

Team,
              The first cook turned out great. Started around 4 pm and got to 203 around 3 am. Wrapped in foil, served 10 hrs later after reheating. Everyone loved it. Used the Memphis rub and KC sauce. Thanks for all the help. Continuing to improve.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here