Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Slabs + Hole in the Ground = Great Camping BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Slabs + Hole in the Ground = Great Camping BBQ

Thought I'd show off the work that me and some friends did over the weekend with embers from the camp fire mixed with kingsford.

Also had a rain event half way through the cook so ended up making a foil tent to try to keep the "pit" dry. It worked!

Cook time probably around 6 hours, ranging from 180 - 260 based on our calculations.

No great smoke ring, but overall very tender with a slight pull. All things considered we'd call it a success.

Attached Files

That is so cool! Love the tent! I bet that tasted fantastic, food cooked outdoors usually does

Comment

That tent was a bit of genius

Comment

Well done. Er, the project that is.

Comment

This is awesome. It looks like you got some great ribs outta this cook. great call with the foil.

Comment

Very cool post, thanks fer sharin' with us!

Comment

Nice rescue job!

Comment

Very interested in this. How far off the coals are the ribs? Guessing I could bring a probe and clip to insure temps weren't too high and adjust height as needed.

Comment

• guycalleddave
                  guycalleddave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  there's no real adjustment available for this. I'd imagine the coals were around 10 inches away though.

• guycalleddave
                  guycalleddave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also have my a pyrex temp probe that I initially bought for indoor use that has moved it's way out to my campfire cooking box, but we also had a Pork Butt going on a very old, very rust charcoal grill, so there was some way to check that we weren't over kill, but we weren't babying it.

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  guycalleddave I think I could adjust with the the setup I'm thinking of. A log on each side of the pit gets the grate higher up.

That's awesome, I'm sure no alcohol was involved at all.

Comment

Great work. Outdoor cooks are always fun.

Comment

Nice! The foil tent was brilliant.

Comment

Great idea! Both the simplicity of the pit and the foil tent. Love cooking outdoors. I'll bet figuring out how to handle the rain was half the fun!

Comment

yeah, we've done a smaller version of this before up there, about the size of 1 rack cut in half or for a fryer size chicken using only embers from the fire. thankfully we used charcoal which helped us maintain heat through the rain.

We're sit literally in the middle of the forest, with no power, etc, and look for ways we can cook spending less than 5 dollars in supplies.

My favorite though was a tree limb rotisserie and 2 whole chickens. Find 2 " Y " branches pounded into the ground next to the first, with a " V " branch with a little tail on one side as the meat holder. One end of the branch goes through the mean, while the other goes about it, using string to secure it.

Comment

• Mudkat
                        Mudkat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Any pics of this kind of cook?

i believe they are on an old phone, but nothing I can seem to find right now.

Comment

Roger that. Maybe next time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here