Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Rib Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Rib Cook

My wife and I have had a very busy couple of weeks and we were looking forward to a slow weekend just to relax. I planned on smoking a small Rib roast today. On Friday however she gets a phone call around noon and come to find out some close friends of hers from Beijing were in Los Angeles to attend their daughters graduation from USC and wondered if we could get together (we live about 1.5 hours east of LA). I told her it pretty much put the screws to my plans but to go ahead and drive out pick them up and I would meet them at a local restaurant for a late lunch early dinner. So we get together and during dinner my wife starts going on about something (I should mention that the conversation is taking place in Chinese which I do not speak) but I hear my name mentioned numerous times so I know she's giving me the devil for something. Well the young collage grad starts translating for me and it seems she is going on about the amount of meat I consume. I have found out that for the Chinese, meat is just an occasional thing. Their diet seems to be 90 percent vegetables and rice with a protein added once and awhile. I eat meat three times a day, bacon for breakfast, ham, chicken, or bologna for lunch, and some kind of meat for dinner.
    As she was going on the collage grad was peppering me with questions about American BBQ. She has had Korean BBQ but not American. As I was trying to explain the different meats that are common to smoke I find out her and her parents are coming back to our house to spend the night (news to me) and leaving at noon today. So I mentioned that if they would like I could pick up some ribs on the way home and BBQ them this morning and we could have them for lunch before they leave. She translated for her parents and they thought it was a great idea. So I get to go to Costco unaccompanied, happy days.

When I get to Costco I picked up a 3 pack of SL ribs and I see the butcher putting steaks in the display case, so I ask him if they planned on getting anymore prime briskets since I have seen any in a couple of weeks. He thought he had some in the back. Sure enough he comes back with one and I told him if there was another I would take two. So I left there with one 3 pack of SL ribs and a 13 lb and a 14 lb brisket. Life is good.

I get home and while I am removing the membrane from the ribs and dressing them up, the collage grad is looking over my shoulder asking questions at every step. I add the salt and explain about dry brining and the advantages.

At 5 am I'm up while everyone else is sound asleep getting things ready. I fire up the PBC in accordance with fzxdoc method.
    Dusted them with MMD and loaded them in the PBC at 270.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs Before Cook 5-27-17.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	324723

I sauced two racks with the thick Bone Suckin Sauce twice just before I took them off close to 10 am the last rack I left dry.

Name:	Ribs After Cook 5-27-17.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	324724

The rack on the left is not sauced the two on the right are sauced.

Name:	Ribs Final 5-27-17.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	324725

At first they weren't sure what to do with the ribs, ( I guess Chinese do not eat with their fingers...my wife eats fried chicken with chop sticks). I assured them that it was ok to eat ribs with their fingers. Once they got started all three were smiling from ear to ear. When we were finished there was not quite a full rack left.

When they were getting ready to go the collage grad asked if she might have a couple that she could bring to her fellow grads that were also from China as they had never had American BBQ before. I loaded the rest of the ribs in a zip lock back, explained how to reheat and sent them on their way.

All in all it was a very successful cook.

Bill

What a wonderful way to spend a weekend. And great ribs, too. Good job!

Comment

Your a great American and BBQ ambassador!!

Comment

Nicely Done, Mr Ambassador!
        If only all th' World's problems could be solved with BBQ!!!
        But, ya' made a Grand Start, lotsa Bonus Points, imho!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm pretty sure that if I could get all the crazy people that want to fight in my backyard and serve them brisket, texas beans and macaroni salad, they'd be too busy with my Q to wanna fight.

Well played sir, well played! and a couple prime briskets for yourself!!!

Comment

Very nice job. And getting to go to Costco unaccompanied?? That sir is a little bit of heaven on earth. . .

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

What a great story, wmferg . You're pushing back the borders of American BBQ one guest at a time...

I envy your score of those two prime briskies. Have fun cooking them!

Kathryn

Comment

Interesting story, thanks for Sharing. The Ribs look great too.

Comment

Now that's real diplomacy.

Comment

Her parents head back to Beijing on Tuesday but for some reason she has to stick around until July to actually get her diploma. We suggested that she would be welcome to stay with us any time while she waited. So this morning we get a call asking if it would be alright if a couple of friends came with her when she stays with us for a few days. Apparently she passed out some of the ribs she took with her and they went over rather well. Now her friends want to try some "different American BBQ".

Bill

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh, ya' CAN, sho 'nuff handle them all!
                      Jus' gotta buy more cookers, perfect excuse!!!
                      International Diplomacy sounds so much more refined than MCS!

• wmferg
                      wmferg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely Mr. Bones, Although I love my PBC...Maybe I should spend some time on the Lang website in the name of International relations.

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Those two briskets in your PBC will take care of a LOT of people.

BBQ is the secret to world peace!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Works on every level, @EdF

Rib Diplomacy.....I LOVE it!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here