Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking porkbutt over brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking porkbutt over brisket

I'm going to cook a porkbutt over a brisket in a green egg, making a second rack that will be about 2 inches over the brisket. Should I be worried about the pork drippings over powering the beef or for that mater just dripping on it at all? I don't have enough room to put a drip tray under the pork or enough room to put them side by side.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks and have a great weekend
    Kevin

I cook pork butts, routinely, in an aluminium disposable pan. No drippings, that way.
    Do I lose a small percentage of crispy bark? Yes, I do.
    Does it make a perceivable difference in th' finished Product?
    Nope. It don't.
    Plus, I git alla th' yummy juices/renderins!
    Hope this helps, Happy Cookin'!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 27, 2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Blue Lou So Sorry, Sir! I was away, takin' a geriatric respite (Cat-Nap ) Got up at 0520...
      In answer to yer query, I'd say, if it probes tender, yup, wrap it up, as desired...
      What's th' IT, now? (1 Hr. later than when ya' asked me ?)

• Blue Lou
      Blue Lou commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones Ok so now the PBC is at 254 and the Pork Butt is at 174 Slow for sure. Its on the rack now and not hangin' anymore. And no worries thank you for gettin' back to me.

• Blue Lou
      Blue Lou commented
      Editing a comment
      Just to let you know, that the Butt came out great, it took it a loooong time to get to 201 it took it 8 hours to get there on the PBC. I guess what ever works, and your info help me get through the stall part. thank you again.

BTW Welcome to th' Pit, Howdy from Kansas Territory!
    Glad yer here, I need some serious tutelage!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome Pm cook

Comment

Ever cook a chuckie or meatloaf with bacon on it? Consider it a flavor enhancer!

Comment

Do you think I'll lose any bark on the brisket? I'm not going to wrap it I'm going to "be patient and let it power through"
            Thanks guys. This site is awesome!

Comment

Welcome. I don't think you'll see an impact on the bark if you power through.

Are you giving both the same rub?

Comment

No, on the pork it's Memphis dust and BIG bad beef rub on the brisket

Comment

You may end up with a couple of sweet spots on the brisket from the extra sugar in the MMD, but it won't be bad.

Comment

Nice thanks for the help
                    have a good weekend

Comment

Thanks for all the help, everyone loved the brisket (15 hour cook) the porkbutt took a little longer than anticipated (18 hours) but it was a bid hit also. You guys helped walk me through my concerns, lack of knowledge. You made me smarter 😜
                      Thanks again Kevin from NY

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here