Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood choice for best flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood choice for best flavor

I have 2 preparations for pork belly. The first is Asian inspired using Char Siu, based on Hoisin and Chinese 5 spice. The second is Yucatan using Achiote paste,OJ and lime. I'm wondering what wood would enhance the flavor of each and possibly be more authentic to the flavor. Thank you

Knowin' nothin' about authenticity, but faced with th' above choices to prepare I'd use:
    Char Siu 50% Apple, 25% Cherry, 25% Mesquite
    Yucatan 25% Apple, 25% Oak, 25% Hickory, 25% Mesquite

Dang! Now I'm hungry!

Comment

Thanks Mr Bones! I will give them a whirl

Comment

Just a small point, not to contradict Mr. Bones' fine recommendations. With char siu, they traditionally tend to avoid a smoky flavor. So if you want trad, go with something neutral like oak. Me, I like it any way I can get it, and the reco Mr Bones gave sounds great to me!

I did Meathead's Chinatown ribs a couple of weeks back. Their spicing is similar to char siu. Used oak. The audience preferred them over "Ed's famous". So you're going to do well no matter what.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          As forewarned, I know nuthin' 'bout authentic/traditional, jus' tossed out what sounded savory to me
          I certainly do appreciate th' enlightnement, EdF !
          That's th' gold nugget here, learnin' new things!
          Otherwise, my brain is jus' a hat rack!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          We just share what we can, and receive the blessings of our fellows' sharing. That's why I love this place! BBQ will save the world!

Which is why I posted, to learn. Again, thank you both. May we never stop learning!!
        ​​​​​

Comment

I'd go with Oak for both. There's quite a bit of flavoring going on, adding a strong smoke flavor may just through everything off.

Now if you are not using a stick burner, I'd go with just the charcoal, no added smoke

Comment

Agree that oak or fruitwood goes best with Asian-style ribs. For the other I'd take whatever I used for the Asian ribs and add some hickory or mesquite (or both). Not commenting on what's authentic. Don't know about that. I've spent some time in Asia, but it's a big place (no kidding ... ). Good BBQ in Mongolia, but not necessarily a lot of wood smoke that I can recall.

Baltassar

Comment

I would go with oak or hickory. Especially for the Yucatan recipe. It can take the smoke for sure. I would really want that "Open Fire" taste to come through.

Not sure for the Asian recipe though. I would keep it light, but nothing too fruity, like cherry.

Comment

One time I made ribs with all peach wood and it gave a certain allspice vibe (no allspice in my rub at all because I don't like it), so if you can get your hands on peach for char siu or other Asian it won't disappoint.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds great!

No wood for char siu. If you want to smoke something to add something authentic, maybe some tea leaves for a light smoke.

For the yucatan, I'd go hickory. You should get most of the complex flavor for cochinita pibil from the salsa, but I think the hickory might add a nice flavor to the dish.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was assuming he was burning wood, so suggested oak. But if it's a matter of some other fuel, yeah, no wood is probably best.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here